The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grim

Grim

I Know a Local LFS they are trying to carry the right stuff rather then a bunch of junk! I told them I would ask about some good overall bulb combo's for Multiple fixtures this would be for Par and Color. what would the best combo for them to have on hand for 24" 36" & 48". I hope you don't mind the question but I don't know anybody better to ask!

Grim I need your intel about two bulbs..

I placed my order for the setup you requimended to me and the UVL Atinic White is on backorder and they stated that the Icecap 12k bulb is pretty much the vary same bulb made in the same factory, just different labeling..

Is this true are they pretty much the same bulb?
Thanks

They both have reflectors that wrap the lamps. The difference is tek uses good reflector material and the nova doesn't. You can add an external fan to the Tek and get an additional 25% output. On the other hand you can sit the nova right on the tank because it uses a splash shield on it.

So, I can't lay the tek fixture on a splash guard over the tank? Does it run too hot for that?

That's a deal breaker- I am liking the light sitting right on the tank. Not looking to hang anything or build a canopy.

tx!
-A

I would try 2 ATI Blue Plus in the 24" and a 10K T8 lamp to brighten up the look. Could also do a blue T8 with 1 Blue Plus and 1 ATI Aquablue

Ok... general ??? for anyone... Why in the H!!!!LL cant I find ATI bulbs local... I really wanted a local source so I could return them if I wasnt happy with the setup but everyone (LFS) carries the same crap as the Petsmart and Petco... ***???

I am just a bit uneasy about ordering bulbs that may or may not make the transit... anyone else have this issue? I am going to hit up my local reef club next but didnt think I would have this much of an issue finding them local... I have looked at ReefGeeks and thats probably where I will but if I cant lay my hands on them local....

I Know a Local LFS they are trying to carry the right stuff rather then a bunch of junk! I told them I would ask about some good overall bulb combo's for Multiple fixtures this would be for Par and Color. what would the best combo for them to have on hand for 24" 36" & 48". I hope you don't mind the question but I don't know anybody better to ask!

The length doesn't matter.

A lot of Blue Plus or Actinic Plus lamps

GE 6500K Daylights

UVL Actinic White

ATI or Giesemann Aquablues

Typically with 6 lamps 4 Blues, 1 actinic white and 1 GE or Aquablue is going to give you a look most will like. You could do 3 blue plus and Aquablue 1 Actinic White and a GE and have a more white version etc but with those 4 lamps you would be able to make most people happy. Wouldn't be a bad idea to keep some UVL or ATI Actinics on hand as well.

Grim, What do you think of the reflectors in the Nova Extreme Pro? I can pick up a 6 bulb unit with fans for $359...Thanks for the info!

Grim I need your intel about two bulbs..

I placed my order for the setup you requimended to me and the UVL Atinic White is on backorder and they stated that the Icecap 12k bulb is pretty much the vary same bulb made in the same factory, just different labeling..

Is this true are they pretty much the same bulb?
Thanks

Yes

So, I can't lay the tek fixture on a splash guard over the tank? Does it run too hot for that?

That's a deal breaker- I am liking the light sitting right on the tank. Not looking to hang anything or build a canopy.

tx!
-A

Splash shield kills the output due to heat so if you cant afford an ATI fixture you are pretty much limited to the Nova pro.

Ok... general ??? for anyone... Why in the H!!!!LL cant I find ATI bulbs local... I really wanted a local source so I could return them if I wasnt happy with the setup but everyone (LFS) carries the same crap as the Petsmart and Petco... ***???

I am just a bit uneasy about ordering bulbs that may or may not make the transit... anyone else have this issue? I am going to hit up my local reef club next but didnt think I would have this much of an issue finding them local... I have looked at ReefGeeks and thats probably where I will but if I cant lay my hands on them local....

The geek does a really good job at getting the lamps there intact.

Splash shield kills the output due to heat so if you cant afford an ATI fixture you are pretty much limited to the Nova pro.

My current fixture has a splash guard and sits over the tank just fine (that's the Nova Extreme SLR 2x24w fixture.) I hadn't considered the heat since this one doesn't run too too hot, but 96w would be double the heat.... hmmm.

So the heat actually adversely affects the output? I didn't realize that! How much? How does it compare with the loss of light from raising the fixture 4" off the water?

Thanks!
Angela

I am setting up a 185 gallon with the following dimensions;

60 x 30 x 25

I can use the Sunlight Tek 48" (8 bulb) for a total of 432 watts or the ATI SUNPOWER 48" (6 bulb) for a total of 324 watts.

The width difference is: Sunlight Tek 20 inches wide and the ATI Sunpower 13.4 inches

I run mainly a mixed reef with very little SPS which could be placed higher in the tank.

Which of the two fixtures do you recommend. There is about $100.00 difference.

hey do you guys think about giesemann bulbs... for a 24" fixture... my friend just bought 2 aquablue, pure act and a act + for his fixture...

Still curious how much difference the quality SLRs on the tek fixture versus the not-so-quality SLRs on the Nova Extreme- even if I am case limited.

Thanks!
Angela

My current fixture has a splash guard and sits over the tank just fine (that's the Nova Extreme SLR 2x24w fixture.) I hadn't considered the heat since this one doesn't run too too hot, but 96w would be double the heat.... hmmm.

So the heat actually adversely affects the output? I didn't realize that! How much? How does it compare with the loss of light from raising the fixture 4" off the water?

Thanks!
Angela

Depends on the fixture, The ATI and Aquactinics actually lose output without the shield because it messes up the cooling scheme. Tek will gain up to 25% with a fan blowing over the top.

As far as the reflector difference it is huge. The nove pro, despite the cooling was like 22% below the uncooled Tek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back