The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Grim
I m going to repeat the question because I didn t put dimension of tank

I need tips,so far I have used HQI and i would like to start use T5 lamps(54w).I have a 150 gal aquarium ( I prefer softies and lps). Now I need advice how manyT5 should I put ( 6 or 8) and which one to put (i prefer blue color but not to much)?dimension of the tank are 64X24X24

Last edited:
Hi all, I am putting together a 180 gallon tank with a canopy that will sit 12 in. above the water. I want to buy the lighting system just once, so what is the best scenario for lighting. Can I go with just T5s and still have enough lighting for anything I put in the tank (like a big clam) or will I have to incorporate MH lighting also. I would like to just use the T5s because of the heat of the MH, and I understand that the T5s will produce heat, but it is more spread out. I am new to salt water, so thank you in advance.

You mean 80 watt ballasts? 10 80 watt lamps would be great over that tank

No Sir, My question was, would 20 x 28watt ATi bulbs would do the same job as 10 x 54watt ATi bulbs.
He just sent all 28watt DALI T5 ballasts back and now opting for 8 x 80watt setup. He wants to keep mix reef tank, both LPS and SPS and would like to know the layout for the tube lights from front to back. Also, if he wants to connect his DALI ballasts to the GHL computer then what would be the best combination to get max out of the T5 lights?

Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions.

OK, I'm game here. I have a 75G 48x18x21 with mostly LPS, and a few softies, mushrooms and clams. I currently have a 4x54 and will be adding a 2x54 fixture. Colors are predominantly red, green, and blue/purple. What do you recommend for good color pop and growth? I prefer the tank a little more "clear" look, if that makes sense. I have cheap bulbs now and everything looks a little "washed out". Thanks

Try 3 ATI Blue Plus, 1 UVL Actinic White, 1 GE 6500K Daylight and 1 ATI Aquablue

ok i'm going to go t5's over our 220gal.the aquactinic constellation 14-39watt bulbs
could someone suggest a bulb combo for it?i like a nice blue ballance need good growth and pop thanks..

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

I am now running 5 blue plus, 1 super actinic and 1 fiji purple and I am loving it... do you think this is enough light, Grim , and enough par??

That is the same combo I have. It's about the same color as a 14k phoenix bulb, maybe a tad bluer.

On a related note, I had a question about my setup. I have the 4 bulbs above in an ATI 24" sunpower, but really like the color that comes from when only the blue plus and UVL super actinic are on by themselves. Would running 4 bulbs consisting of 2 blue plus and 2 UVL super actinic provide enough PAR? My fixture is 5" above the water, and the water is 17" deep. Most of my SPS is in the top half, though one or two pieces are below that.

edit: or perhaps 3 blue plus, one UVL?

Appreciate any advice :)

Run 1 actinic with the 3 Blue Plus

I'm sure this has probably been asked and I did try to read as much of this thread as possible before I posted.

Would a 6x54 Nova Extreme pro be enough to light a 30" deep 150 adequately? or would I have to get an ATI?

I really like T5's but there seems to be mixed feedback on whether or not the can penetrate like Halides

Any help is much appreciated

The ATI Powermodule placed low on the tank is the only real T5 option. I would sit it right on the tank.

I have a question for anyone that may know the answer.

Does anyone know, or care to guess, what bulbs are being used on this tank? I beginning to lean towards the clean 'white' look instead of the heavy blues.

I am guessing something with some red in it like UVL Actinic WHite or Aquasun or even a couple fiji purples, a daylight type lamp and a couple blues.

I've seen pics of a tank with 2 fiji purples, 2 Aquablues and 2 blue pluses that was pretty close.

Ok thanks. What 24" fixture would you recommend for a Red Sea Max to support a mixed reef that does not require it to be hung. I'd like to get an ATI but hanging the fixture is not possible. How would you say the Aquatic Life T5 HO stacks up? Or TEK? Any thoughts on the Marineland Pro MH/T5 lights?

Take a look at the Aquactinics TX5

Hi Grim
I m going to repeat the question because I didn t put dimension of tank

I need tips,so far I have used HQI and i would like to start use T5 lamps(54w).I have a 150 gal aquarium ( I prefer softies and lps). Now I need advice how manyT5 should I put ( 6 or 8) and which one to put (i prefer blue color but not to much)?dimension of the tank are 64X24X24

8 lamps

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

Probably 15K look.

Hi all, I am putting together a 180 gallon tank with a canopy that will sit 12 in. above the water. I want to buy the lighting system just once, so what is the best scenario for lighting. Can I go with just T5s and still have enough lighting for anything I put in the tank (like a big clam) or will I have to incorporate MH lighting also. I would like to just use the T5s because of the heat of the MH, and I understand that the T5s will produce heat, but it is more spread out. I am new to salt water, so thank you in advance.

I would look at the 8x80 ATI Powermodule.

No Sir, My question was, would 20 x 28watt ATi bulbs would do the same job as 10 x 54watt ATi bulbs.
He just sent all 28watt DALI T5 ballasts back and now opting for 8 x 80watt setup. He wants to keep mix reef tank, both LPS and SPS and would like to know the layout for the tube lights from front to back. Also, if he wants to connect his DALI ballasts to the GHL computer then what would be the best combination to get max out of the T5 lights?

Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions.

I don't think ATI even makes 28 watt lamps. Those are regular output lamps. I think coralife makes some but they wouldn't even be close to the same output as the 54 watt HO T5's.

thanks... suprisingly, it is NOt even very blue, as I would have thought it would be... that fiji purple is a bright light!!

Just curious, what is the difference between ATI blue plus and ATI actinic, didnt both of it give a blue light?

Take a look at the Aquactinics TX5

Ok thanks. So your not a big fan of the Tek or the Aquatic Life? I like the AQ because of the built-in timer. The TX5 looks like a nice fixture and is certainly in my budget. I know what your 4 combo recommendation is, but how about a 5 bulb combo? I like the blue look but I want to support a mixed reef.

I would look at the 8x80 ATI Powermodule.

I read about the 8x80 ATI Powermodule $1274 excluding bulbs, and it is a very nice package but my tank is 72 inches long. I think My mistake I did not make that clear. Or are you saying that the 6" on each side won't matter. I was looking at the Ice cap retro individual pieces (8 - 36" Aquactinics T5 Reflectors w/clips, 660 Icecap ballast, the waterproof ends and the clips) price $574, I am not sure about what bulbs to get. + $160 for bulbs

Is my spread good enough or do I need 8 bulbs per side for a total of 16 bulbs, wow thats alot. How close should each bulb be to the next.

Is the ATI brand better, or is it only because it is already packaged. How does that dawn to dusk simulation work.

Thank you for your help and time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back