The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
bulb replacement

bulb replacement

If I was to run 6 x 60" t5's on icecap 660's, how long until these bulbs need to be replaced. Can I get 12 months out of them? They would be cooled by a fan/fans. Thanks

So would my option #2 with the (4) Blue+, (1) purple+ & (1) Aquablue be considered a more white or blue spectrum setup?

I was figuring the aquablue was better for coral growth than all blue+ & purple+. Opinions?

It will look about 15K and the Aquablue doesn't have much if any more PAR than Blue Plus

If I was to run 6 x 60" t5's on icecap 660's, how long until these bulbs need to be replaced. Can I get 12 months out of them? They would be cooled by a fan/fans. Thanks

I did. Shorter lamps won't be they are also overdriven a lot further than the 60" lamps.

I have a Coralife T5 fixture it is a 4 bulb unit and has crappy reflectors. The actinic bulbs are more purple then blue and i dont like the look. Should i go with UVL VHOR with internal reflector or just get some ATI bulbs? I want a crisp blue look if you could recommend some bulbs. Thanks.

Grim, you gave me some advice on my lighting a while back and I just wanted to check back with you to see if your opinion/advice has changed over the past year.

I am running an 8 bulb ATI Powermodule with the following bulbs and have a 30" deep tank that is 95% SPS.

1 Fiji Purple
4 ATI Blue Plus
2 ATI Aquablue Special
1 UVL Super Actinic

Would you recommend that I make any changes to this bulb selection?

Thank you very much for your help.

I have a Coralife T5 fixture it is a 4 bulb unit and has crappy reflectors. The actinic bulbs are more purple then blue and i dont like the look. Should i go with UVL VHOR with internal reflector or just get some ATI bulbs? I want a crisp blue look if you could recommend some bulbs. Thanks.

Either 3 ATI Blue Plus and 1 ATI Purple Plus or 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 KZ New Generation and 1 ATI Purple Plus.

The UVL's don't have good PAR and with that fixture, you need all the PAR you can get.

Grim, you gave me some advice on my lighting a while back and I just wanted to check back with you to see if your opinion/advice has changed over the past year.

I am running an 8 bulb ATI Powermodule with the following bulbs and have a 30" deep tank that is 95% SPS.

1 Fiji Purple
4 ATI Blue Plus
2 ATI Aquablue Special
1 UVL Super Actinic

Would you recommend that I make any changes to this bulb selection?

Thank you very much for your help.

If you like the look then no need to change.

My personal preference would be:

5 ATI Blue Plus
2 ATI Purple Plus
1 ATI Aquablue

Ditch the actinic. It doesn't add much of anything, especially with 8 bulbs. You will get more PAR using a Blue Plus instead and on a 30" deep tank, I would think you need as much as PAR as possible.

are the ATI Pro Colors not cool anymore? I seen some pics with these and I liked the way they look. Why is nobody using them?

Ryan,

What order front-to-back would you suggest?

Cheers!
L3
If you like the look then no need to change.

My personal preference would be:

5 ATI Blue Plus
2 ATI Purple Plus
1 ATI Aquablue

Ditch the actinic. It doesn't add much of anything, especially with 8 bulbs. You will get more PAR using a Blue Plus instead and on a 30" deep tank, I would think you need as much as PAR as possible.

Hey all.

I'm looking for a fixture recommendation for a 120. 48x24x24.

Right now I have a 60cube (24x24x24) and have an 8x24 ATI-PM over it which is awesome. I'm not really opposed to going to the 8x54 ATI-PM, but if I can find a comparable fixture at a substantial savings, I may just go for it.

What would you spend my money on? (no halides, and LED's are very possible, but I haven't found a 48" fixture that is of any reasonable cost)

The top will block a lot of light. You could use LED pendants is it's in your budget. T5's will still work and might even be a better idea if you plan a mixed reef. Just keep the high light critters below the cutouts in top so they get the full amount of light.

Well that's another problem. I do plan a mixed reef and the rockwork will be on the back half of the tank where the acrylic top is. Im looking at a set of 10K white and 460nm actinic power compact. Im going to ventilate the canopy with 4 120mm fans run off of a couple 12v dc adaptors so Im not that concerned about heat and at worse case could just put the clear covers on the tank, just hope enough light will pass through the top. Im not looking forward to having to clean the top lid section....

Hey all.

I'm looking for a fixture recommendation for a 120. 48x24x24.

Right now I have a 60cube (24x24x24) and have an 8x24 ATI-PM over it which is awesome. I'm not really opposed to going to the 8x54 ATI-PM, but if I can find a comparable fixture at a substantial savings, I may just go for it.

What would you spend my money on? (no halides, and LED's are very possible, but I haven't found a 48" fixture that is of any reasonable cost)

Unless you want to build your own LED rig I'd go with a 8x54 Sunpower or Powermodule.

Grim,

First, thanks for providing advice through hundreds of pages of posts! It must get very monotonous, but a lot of folks have come to rely on you and, lets face it, you are the T5 Guru. So, here I go:

I currently run a 20" Nova Extreme Pro over my 28 Nanocube. I splurged for the UVL bulbs and currently run from F to B:
Aquasun
Indigo Sun
Super Actinic
Actinic White

I'd like to "soften" or "blue-up" my tank some...my choice would have been another 454 to replace the Ac. White, but they are not on Nanotuners site and I'm not sure I'll have any luck easily getting an 18" one (I think this size T5s are still in the trial phase for UVL and I don't know if they are going to continue with them or not). That leaves me with getting a Super Actinic. But...what would you recommend if I were to go back to stock brand bulbs by Current? They have the following available:

True Lumen White 12k
460 nm
420 nm

I'm considering going back since I assume they will be readily available if UVL gets out of the 18" game. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Again, thanks.

Unless you want to build your own LED rig I'd go with a 8x54 Sunpower or Powermodule.

Not down with building my own LED setup so I'll stick with the ATI. When I originally bought the PM, I did it because I liked the look and wanted it to hang above the tank. And, well, it was the best that I could find.

Now considering that the rest of the setup will be a cost, I'm looking at the Sunpower. The fixture will be mounted in a canopy so I don't really care what it looks like, but wonder if there is any performance difference between the two. Aside from 2 fans versus 4, are there any appreciable performance differences between the PM and the Sunpower?

Grim,

First, thanks for providing advice through hundreds of pages of posts! It must get very monotonous, but a lot of folks have come to rely on you and, lets face it, you are the T5 Guru. So, here I go:

I currently run a 20" Nova Extreme Pro over my 28 Nanocube. I splurged for the UVL bulbs and currently run from F to B:
Aquasun
Indigo Sun
Super Actinic
Actinic White

I'd like to "soften" or "blue-up" my tank some...my choice would have been another 454 to replace the Ac. White, but they are not on Nanotuners site and I'm not sure I'll have any luck easily getting an 18" one (I think this size T5s are still in the trial phase for UVL and I don't know if they are going to continue with them or not). That leaves me with getting a Super Actinic. But...what would you recommend if I were to go back to stock brand bulbs by Current? They have the following available:

True Lumen White 12k
460 nm
420 nm

I'm considering going back since I assume they will be readily available if UVL gets out of the 18" game. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Again, thanks.

Put the Actinic WHite where the Aquasun is and put a Current 460 where the actinic white is now.

Not down with building my own LED setup so I'll stick with the ATI. When I originally bought the PM, I did it because I liked the look and wanted it to hang above the tank. And, well, it was the best that I could find.

Now considering that the rest of the setup will be a cost, I'm looking at the Sunpower. The fixture will be mounted in a canopy so I don't really care what it looks like, but wonder if there is any performance difference between the two. Aside from 2 fans versus 4, are there any appreciable performance differences between the PM and the Sunpower?

Sunpower should be fine unless you plan on lots of clams. Powermodule is about 10% more output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back