The Three Best Pieces Of SW Advice you have

Vinnie71975

Hey all lets make this thread a BIG one What are your 3 best pieces of advice for a SW tank? Doesn't have to be advice for new people just Good Advice!]

Ill Start:

A) Bigger is better Buy the biggest tank you can afford!

B)Dont Skimp On Lights(Trust me you will want a reef later!)

C) Double Check any Advice you get from a "LFS" With the people here on RC and Other Reef Clubs!!!

Patience, don't give up

Research before getting

Double check here if your not sure

dont beleive your LFS

A. save some money by buying used equi[ment from fellow reefers
B. read, read, read (thats three)
C. get your spouse involved to make this hobby easier

sana

1. The following statement is true
2. The preceding statement was false
3. "I" before "E" unless after "C" except in words that are weird.

Just kidding :D

1. Research everything before you buy. You may regret getting that sally lightfoot
2. Don't believe the hype or alot of things that people say.
3. If you hear a pop in your tank (especially after the lights go out. They are diurnal!) it most likely isn't a mantis....unless your rock is from tbs :D

Dan

a - Make sure you can afford all necessary quality equipment

b - Get the biggest tank you can but not so big you have to rip out your kitchen and turn it into a dedicated fish room

c - Have enough knowledge to have a relatively smooth start - then read - then read some more

Oh, did I mention reading!

A. When you think you're ready, wait another week
as said, patience is key to this hobby
B. Ask questions, then research the answers given
people are imperfect, we all make mistakes
C. Only bargain shop using well-known brand names
don't buy a brand no one has ever heard from

if u can start with 500 gallons, go for it

1. Don't always believe what it says on the bottle or package.

2. Don't always believe what your friend or the LFS tells you unless you double check with a reliable source (if it is important).

3. Remember that you are only the most recent of 22 million reefers before you. You are probably not going to be successful doing "X" if most other people before you were not.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11611531#post11611531 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
1. Don't always believe what it says on the bottle or package.

2. Don't always believe what your friend or the LFS tells you unless you double check with a reliable source (if it is important).

3. Remember that you are only the most recent of 22 million reefers before you. You are probably not going to be successful doing "X" if most other people before you were not.

Wow randy great to see you posting! Feel free to add more advice (this goes for everyone not just randy!)

1) you cannot spend your way to success
2) there is a lot of work to do, just do it!
3) research the animal before you buy it
4) double check the "advice" given at RC with your LFS and other internet sources

1) understand that the SW hobby costs as much as a new car
2) research a little bit every day, (or, learn something new every day)
3) understand that patience is key in this hobby

1. Do your homework. Read everything more than once!

2. Take your time. I have learned that rushing things will inevitably drain your wallet in this hobby.

3. Take everyones advice. There are tons of people who know more than you do. Take their advice every time.

--Jim C.

1. 'attitude' kills tanks and costs money. When somebody with experience tells you it's not a good idea, it's probably not a good idea.
2. read the manual. Then check and fine-tune with somebody who actually uses that equipment.
3. you can't have everything you ever wanted all in one tank: they'd probably eat each other.

1. Get the best skimmer you can afford.

2. Use as large of a sump as you can.

3. Grow macro algae for nutrient export.

1. Patience
2. Research
3. Dont get buyers remorse/regrets. ( I have a decent size sump, I know i should of went larger, but this one is going to work because it is better than no sump)..that kind of thing

MY Best Advice EVER FIND A LFS THAT IS SW ONLY!!!!!!!!!!! I did this and the owner also has over 12 yrs in the hobby and has been EXTREMELY helpful to me!

1) Do not get into this hobby if you can't spend at least 1.5 hrs per day on it.

2) And don't ever assume one person's answer is the answer. No one knows it all.

3) and be ready to spend all your time and extra money on it.

1.) Patience...and then some more patience.
2.) Plan ahead and do your research ahead of time - It's easier to do it right the first time, than to have to re-do it once your up and running!
3.) Always ask questions...there are no dumb questions. The only dumb questions are the unasked...it could save you lots of grief if you just ask.

Back