The time has come...an explanation

dodgerblew

Team RC
Well friends, I've made a very difficult decision. In case you haven't noticed I've been pretty absent from the forum for several months. I've been very preoccupied with decisions far greater then my tank. It's time to tell you about it.

As I'm not getting younger and my current career of almost 40 years seems to be winding down l had been looking for something new to do, something where I could semi-retire and live a comfortable life. This journey started summer of 2017. Approximately a year ago this journey led me to a new franchise brand and after doing what I felt was my due diligence for several months I invested a large sum of money and I bought in. It was a very exciting time.

With my time being stretched between my current career and getting the new one up and going my tank was getting neglected and I just didn't have the energy to give it what I needed and as you know they don't fix themselves. With acropora being an addiction for me this was a disaster in waiting. As the holidays approached and the tank not well and going out of state for the holidays I made the choice to sell off the sps. I figured going forward in such a busy time sps was no longer something I should do and I would keep LPS and softies maintaining what I already have and adding in others which I did.

Unfortunately the franchise model I invested in didn't work out and I attempted to sever the relationship. Eventually with the assistance of a great guy I was able to part ways and come to a resolution between both parties that were very reasonable for both sides. I'm bound by nondisclosure clauses as part of our agreement to say more then that but I wish them and their franchisees the best and I'm sorry it didn't work out the way I and them had hoped. The last five months has definitely taken a toll on me and to say the least stressful and I'm grateful for a faithful God who walked with me through this. Everything happens for a reason and I know God has a plan. In hindsight I'm happy for freeing myself from commitments binding me to California. My wife and I want to eventually leave and with her career taking off she can explore bettering her opportunities wherever they might be without me hindering her wants and desires.

What I've also realized over the last several weeks is I'm tired and this hobby isn't fun for me now and I need to recharge my passion batteries for a while and see what happens. For me, it has to be sps, lps just doesn't do it for me. There's no thrill or sense of accomplishment or satisfaction. Plus, with the current climate of import closures prices are going through the roof and that takes a lot of the fun out too because it's just to expensive. Additionally if my wife does get opportunities elsewhere I wouldn't take the tank with me so this might very well be inevitable anyway. If in time I get the itch I'll come back in but for now I'll keep up with the hobby and you all from the sidelines.

I'm in the process of making a list of equipment and livestock, taking pics and determining prices. As soon as I complete it I'll start a for sale thread.

Hey Brother,

God does do everything for a reason and I'm sure that all will be better soon. This hobby does take a lot out of you emotionally, financially, mentally, and requires a lot of time/effort! With that being said sometimes a break from something you love is the recharge you need.

Good luck and we will miss you bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry to hear Rik. I got distracted with new hobbies, kids and work and lost all my SPS. It’s discouraging but I’m going to learn from my mistakes and get back to SPS eventually. Going to go with LPS for now to help make my tank not look so boring.

Hello Rik,

I am sorry to hear about the new venture. Life gets complicated at times and I so understand. I truly wish you the best and the bottom line is your happiness. In the last few years this hobby has gotten darker with bans and then greed it does take some fun out of it for sure especially when you work within the industry.
The great news for you is your team is on fire. Enjoy the games as it is the season for you. We will have to catch up and meet at a game soon. I just don't know when we are playing you guys next.
Also remember you are always welcome to this forum with or without a tank!

Well friends, I've made a very difficult decision. In case you haven't noticed I've been pretty absent from the forum for several months. I've been very preoccupied with decisions far greater then my tank. It's time to tell you about it.

As I'm not getting younger and my current career of almost 40 years seems to be winding down l had been looking for something new to do, something where I could semi-retire and live a comfortable life. This journey started summer of 2017. Approximately a year ago this journey led me to a new franchise brand and after doing what I felt was my due diligence for several months I invested a large sum of money and I bought in. It was a very exciting time.

With my time being stretched between my current career and getting the new one up and going my tank was getting neglected and I just didn't have the energy to give it what I needed and as you know they don't fix themselves. With acropora being an addiction for me this was a disaster in waiting. As the holidays approached and the tank not well and going out of state for the holidays I made the choice to sell off the sps. I figured going forward in such a busy time sps was no longer something I should do and I would keep LPS and softies maintaining what I already have and adding in others which I did.

Unfortunately the franchise model I invested in didn't work out and I attempted to sever the relationship. Eventually with the assistance of a great guy I was able to part ways and come to a resolution between both parties that were very reasonable for both sides. I'm bound by nondisclosure clauses as part of our agreement to say more then that but I wish them and their franchisees the best and I'm sorry it didn't work out the way I and them had hoped. The last five months has definitely taken a toll on me and to say the least stressful and I'm grateful for a faithful God who walked with me through this. Everything happens for a reason and I know God has a plan. In hindsight I'm happy for freeing myself from commitments binding me to California. My wife and I want to eventually leave and with her career taking off she can explore bettering her opportunities wherever they might be without me hindering her wants and desires.

What I've also realized over the last several weeks is I'm tired and this hobby isn't fun for me now and I need to recharge my passion batteries for a while and see what happens. For me, it has to be sps, lps just doesn't do it for me. There's no thrill or sense of accomplishment or satisfaction. Plus, with the current climate of import closures prices are going through the roof and that takes a lot of the fun out too because it's just to expensive. Additionally if my wife does get opportunities elsewhere I wouldn't take the tank with me so this might very well be inevitable anyway. If in time I get the itch I'll come back in but for now I'll keep up with the hobby and you all from the sidelines.

I'm in the process of making a list of equipment and livestock, taking pics and determining prices. As soon as I complete it I'll start a for sale thread.

I'm sorry to hear it's been such a rough stretch. At least you tried and took a shot! Goodluck brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck wherever you end up! Hope you keep rocking the Dodger Blue!
It would be impossible to stop. Plus I do the season ticket thing :)

Hey Brother,

God does do everything for a reason and I'm sure that all will be better soon. This hobby does take a lot out of you emotionally, financially, mentally, and requires a lot of time/effort! With that being said sometimes a break from something you love is the recharge you need.

Good luck and we will miss you bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
George, you're correct and one of the good ones I like to hang with

Sorry to hear Rik. I got distracted with new hobbies, kids and work and lost all my SPS. It's discouraging but I'm going to learn from my mistakes and get back to SPS eventually. Going to go with LPS for now to help make my tank not look so boring.
I have some very nice LPS. Lookout for the thread. I've also found a new hobby Ben, collecting vintage vinyl LP's. I'm having a fun time and putting together a nice Beatles collection from the 60's.

Hello Rik,

I am sorry to hear about the new venture. Life gets complicated at times and I so understand. I truly wish you the best and the bottom line is your happiness. In the last few years this hobby has gotten darker with bans and then greed it does take some fun out of it for sure especially when you work within the industry.
The great news for you is your team is on fire. Enjoy the games as it is the season for you. We will have to catch up and meet at a game soon. I just don't know when we are playing you guys next.
Also remember you are always welcome to this forum with or without a tank!
You are one of my true friends this hobby and forum has given more the opportunity to make. I'm grateful for that. I am enjoying the games, I'm behind the third base dugout in the front of the loge and I know Doc can hear me screaming my displeasures at him :lol:. I've got great seats and the team is fun. I'd like to get together at a game, let's do it!

Sorry to hear Rik. I’m a firm believer of God having a plan for everyone and everything happens for a reason. Best of luck!

Rik, I know we haven't seen each other or did the meet up thing for some time now. However, I just wanted to inform you that you are truly a cornerstone of experience and knowledge for us all. I will definitely miss you being in this hobby. With that being said, thank you for sharing your testimony, we can all relate and support your life journey. You will always to have us to lean on. Good luck to you and God bless your future endeavors.
P.S - have fun with the new vinyl collection.

- Larry

Thanks for courageously sharing your life lessons with us Rik. It shows you are in a good place with yourself and your life that you can do that. When one door closes, many more open up and I know you will make the most of new opportunities that will present themselves. It's an exciting time, so continue to prepare yourself and embrace it. Sad to see you leave but the hobby and your friends will always be there when u need.

Good luck Rik. Wishing you the best of luck in your future endeavors
Thank you
Sorry to read this, good luck with whatever you decide to do moving forward. You know where to find us.
Thank you Cody.
Hey Rik, sad to see you go, but good luck with everything!
Thank you Juan

Sorry to hear Rik. I'm a firm believer of God having a plan for everyone and everything happens for a reason. Best of luck!
Thank you Vu.
Best of luck Rik! we'll be here when the SPS itch bites!
Thank you Tony
Rik, I know we haven't seen each other or did the meet up thing for some time now. However, I just wanted to inform you that you are truly a cornerstone of experience and knowledge for us all. I will definitely miss you being in this hobby. With that being said, thank you for sharing your testimony, we can all relate and support your life journey. You will always to have us to lean on. Good luck to you and God bless your future endeavors.
P.S - have fun with the new vinyl collection.

- Larry
Thank you for the kind words Larry. Although I won't have a tank running I still plan on being on these forums. It's who I am. I've been doing saltwater for 50 years, it's part of my DNA. When I know what's next I'll make the decision of restarting.

Thanks for courageously sharing your life lessons with us Rik. It shows you are in a good place with yourself and your life that you can do that. When one door closes, many more open up and I know you will make the most of new opportunities that will present themselves. It's an exciting time, so continue to prepare yourself and embrace it. Sad to see you leave but the hobby and your friends will always be there when u need.

Not leaving Terry, just going to be a cheerleader and fan for now. People like you have made this hobby fun for me and I've always considered you a mentor. If I remember you took a break too. I know new and good things are coming. My wife has worked her tail off on her education and I couldn't be more proud of her. I feel like I should be still now and see what God is doing in her life and not put any obstacles in her way

hate to see it but I understand...If you're going to throw the towel in this early, maybe you should consider becoming a Giants fan. ::runs laughing::

Back