The Time Is Finally Here...

I can't wait for football season. I think the Vols will do better than predicted. Lots more speed and size and I think that the new strength and conditioning coach is a great hire. That's easily the most important coach after HC, OC, and DC. Derek Dooley for president! ;)

As to BBall, I'm not very excited. I'm expecting a drop off due to losing our two best players and no clear stars or leaders, not to mention the NCAA sanctions coming. I like the attitude of Cuonzo more than Pearl. I'll take grit over flash any day.

GT got hit pretty hard (sorry scott). I assumed that was a pretty clean program. That vacates the 2009 ACC Title.

OSU is getting rocked too... vacating that 'win' against AK last year means that their record against SEC teams went from terrible to atrocious.

Wonder what's down the road for UT...

It means the records will show the #2 team as having won that season in the ACC. Because of course you know one of the staff buying one of the star players $300 worth of clothes was the reason Georgia Tech won that season. ;)

They also get 4 years probation and $100K fines. Harshness is due to the fact that they obstructed inquiry into the relatively minor offenses and the NCAA is taking a very dim view of obstruction these days.

It means the records will show the #2 team as having won that season in the ACC. Because of course you know one of the staff buying one of the star players $300 worth of clothes was the reason Georgia Tech won that season. ;)

I read it was two players getting gear, not one. But the real issue wasn't that, but how GT handled everything after that point, like knowingly playing, even 'defiantly' playing a student who the NCAA had, at that time, questioned the eligibility of, impeding an NCAA investigation by notifying/coaching the student, etc. There's a fairly complete timeline here: http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech/how-georgia-techs-ncaa-1020485.html It would have been much less of a deal had the administration dealt with it differently (like Pearl answering the question about the photograph taken at his place truthfully).

Yeah, I think there is a lesson to be learned from UT, GT, OSU, etc. Own up early. Hiding bodies makes things much worse!

Do you think GT would have won the ACC championship without their star player? I don't know the two teams involved at that time enough to judge. Just curious really.

Do you think GT would have won the ACC championship without their star player? I don't know the two teams involved at that time enough to judge. Just curious really.
Can't remember the details that far back, but Demaryius Thomas wasn't the "star player" -- just effectively their only receiver. The star player was the QB leading the triple-option and the big running game. He only threw to Thomas on occasion, but it was usually a surprise for big gain. Could they have won without him? Likely. But without him that year GT goes from 10% passing to 0% passing game. So I can see why they covered it up rather than making him sit it out while being investigated.

Great game last night... :) Florida had a close game against Bowling Green. I'm liking our chances to finally beat them! :D

Gosh I hope so. We are due a year to at least get back in the top 25 and I would LOVE to to see Dooley succeed or at least get a couple more years to get it done. Hard on turn on USC and AL games tonight when they were already blowouts :rolleyes:

I didn't bother to turn on the USC game. But Bama sure did look good beating the heck out of Michigan. Not looking forward to playing them.

WhatEVER...like I'm supposed to automatically know these things.

At least I try to participate.

I hate Florida... :( Such a promising first half, followed by a team completely throwing in the towel... I know I am overreacting, but I still don't think Dooley is the right coach... We have a team of quitters... Last years loss to KY proved as much to me...

Back