Think I SCORED on a Coral purchase....

carfac

Hey.

I moved my rocks around, and ended up with a new, open space last week. I was at the LFS yesterday, looking for something to fill the area, and I spotted a funky rock with blue 'shrooms on it.

Hold your left hand in front of you, fingers up. From your wrist up- that is about what the rock looked like. The 'shrooms were all around the palm and back of the hand- 6-8 of them. So far, so good.

Now the fingers- they are all capped with white growth. The guy told me what it was- some sort of hard coral growing on them. I forgot- any ideas? Anyway, he told me that in my nano, the white needed to point up, so they would be closer to my lights. Cool- just what I wanted, anyway.

So I get it home, acclimate and put it in. It is just crawling with Pods- big bonus, I think! Then I notice a small ( 1 inch or so) disk- very thin, and sort of conforms to the shape of the rock. But it looks a LOT like my Fungia- even to the little tentacles coming out of the rays. Could it be?

Anyway, I am happy with it anyway (fopr 20 bucks)- but all the bonuses, I think I scored pretty good!

Dave

OK, PICS!!!!!

rock1.JPG

rock2.JPG

I think you can pretty easily see what I am thinking is a baby fungia!

Here is a view from thew other side- you can see more of the 'shrooms in here- like I said above, most of them are in the "palm" of the rock...

rock3.JPG

Lots of deep red coraline, too. I have a lot of the pink and light purple- I hope this red goes to town!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9293696#post9293696 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by blackheart
could be porites do you see little polyps?

I looked last night- the first night- and did not see anything on them. They have a lot of little round bumps, with pores in them, but I have not seen anything come out yet. Should I look under lights, or at night?

Dave

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9293908#post9293908 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bertoni
I'd guess it's an encrusting sponge.

Thanks Jonathan- is that good or bad? Or just let it be?

It is VERY hard, whatever it is!

If it's very hard, it might just be a dead coral skeleton. Sponges tend not to cause any problems, nor will they do much good other than look interesting (or ugly).

Well, the LFS guy specifically told me it was some sort of Hard oral. I an all and ask tomorrow, I guess. It sure ads a new and cool dimension (and color) to my tank!

Bleached porites- that is bad? Is there anything I can/should do for them?

So I got a baby fungia- good!

Last edited:
If it is a sponge that you took out of the water i would get rid of it. Once you take sponge out of the water it usually dies then rots. I dont think thats what it is though. I am going with my original guess and still say porites. If they are bleached then just let them be they will take care of themselves. If they are not bleach then let them be again. When you look at it does it look like dead coral you have seen it before at the beach or some fish store? Or does it look more smooth? If it starts to grow algae on it you will know its dead. I think its live though. Good luck and tell us what you see.

Try and take the white balance on your camera down a bit so we can see more detail.

Back