Thoughts on ich

Tom, come on. There were about 20 of them in the store, some were dead so they sold the living ones for ten bucks. The thing was covered in paracites and I only treated it for a couple of days. We both know that that is no where near long enough to cure it of paracites. But if you like, if I find another one with ich, I will put it in my tank as it is. It may die but my other fish won't get it. I hope I don't pay more than ten bucks for it. :fun2:

If ich were that easy to cure, there would be none of it. ;)

It's possible the parasites left the fish in the store tank ,or your copper tank.They only stay in the fish 3 to 7 days on average,IIRC .In effect your did two tank transfers one with copper treatment.The third and fourth are usually insurance.
Please don't put an infested fish in your tank on my account. Obviously ,you can make any choice your are comfortable with for your tank but not because I would like you to do that; I wouldn't but it's none of my business in any case . My aim is to inform folks abut how the parasite operates and lives so they can make theri own informed decisions.

I don't like talking about someone else's tank without an invitation to do so. I think it's a little rude; so, I haven't until now and only to answer your repeated call for a plausible explanation as to why the Copper band butterfly did not die or infest other fish in your tank . I'm glad you saved it from the lfs and wish our continued success and enjoyment from your aquarium.

Last edited:
Tom Old friend, I save many fish and a good portion of fish I have I got very cheap from LFSs because they thought they were going to die. Usually from ich.
A large LFS I buy from has a bad reputation concerning the health of some of their fish, but it is a store I helped start their tanks when the hobby first started and my Mother N Law is in a nursing home right near the place so I go there every week. It now has a different owner and I don't get any discounts or anything like that. They import their own fish so they usually have unusual creatures, some of which I have never seen before so I like to see what they have. That was the place with the tank full of $10.00 copperbands. I was there yesterday and they are selling firefish for $4.95. That is a great price and if you know how to care for those fish, they are a bargain. I have been buying there from the beginning and always just putting those fish directly into my tank.
I may go back there today just to see if I can find anything interesting because most stores in New York buy from the same few wholesalers and always have the same stuff. I don't buy tangs, angels and royal gramma's because I have had to many and they are to common. I look for the unusual and that is the only place that carries that sort of stuff.
As I said I also continousely add sall sorts of stuff including mud and amphipods from the sea. My tank depends on this natural infusion of wildlife and bacteria and it would be impossable to quarantine this stuff so my system and methods evolved to work as it does. I didn't have thousands of people on the internet telling me I have to do it this way of that way. I did it the way I had to do it with no input so my methods are the original methods. The internet changed the thinking and now the methods evolved to the easier system which is to quarantine everything and just keep paracites out and that is fine as I used to do at the onset also. But my tank evolved past that just like the people in Europe eventually stopped dying from the Plague. They never cured it but the remaining people developed a resistance to it just as my, and many fish do. Those people that were left in Europe were stronger or they had a better immune system.
Nothing changed in Europe except their immune systems.
They evolved just as this hobby will evolve and soon there will not be ich problems in tanks. Just my opinion of course as I truely hope no one here gets the plague or loses fish to ich. :D

It's easy to get ich out of tank. Just take away the fish and the ich in the tank will die.
it.

Lol, easy for someone with a small tank but not so easy for someone with a 300+ gallon tank full of fish.

I am sorry you could not grasp the analogy.

Easy relative to eradicating bacteria or viruses from a human body; there is considerable work with a large tank, certainly but the tank not a host for this parasite without fish to sustain it. I grasped the analogy to lyme disease ;it and many others often used in these discussiond are mostly obfuscatory,imo.

Back