Tigebell's Build

TigeBell

After 6 months from selling my 280 gallon saltwater tank, I am returning to the hobby. Yes, it wasn’t very long but life has been simplified and I can return my focus on a tank. The new tank is ¼ the size of my old one and I am definitely looking at more automation and if something goes wrong, being able to visit my LFS to obtain something that will work for the long run instead of just a temporary patch until I can get something fixed. So, the tank will be bare bottom and I hope to make the tank an SPS tank.

Here is a list of times that I have already purchased:
1 - Red Sea Refer 350 Deluxe (AI Hydra TwentySix HD LEDS included)
1 - Maxspect Gyre XF230 w/ Advance Controller
1 – Maxspect Gyre XF230 Pump Only
1 – Bubble Magus Curve 7
2 – MarinePure 8x8x4 Blocks
2 – AquaMaxx Fluidized Reactor
1 – AquaMaxx BioMaxx BioPellet Reactor
1 – Deepwater Aquatics BLDC8 DC Pump
1 – SpectraPure Standard 90 GPD RO/DI
1 – 100+ lbs Reef Cleaner Rock
2 – Eheim Jager Thermostat Heaters 150watt
1 – Aqua Medic Reefdoser Evo 4 dosing pump
1 – Aqua Medic Reefdoser Evo Add 4 Extention dosing pump

Question #1: Any recommendations on other equipment? Eventually will be buying a controller.

As for livestock. Not going to have a ton of fish but looking at fish that are easy and fun to watch. Here is what I am looking at:
1 – Yellow Candy Hogfish
1 – Starry Blenny
1 – Sixline Wrasse
1 – Kole Yellow Eye Tang
2 – Banggai Cardinalfish
2 – Chalk Bass
2 – Tracy’s Damselfish
Various Inverts – Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Mexican Turbo Snails, Astraea Turbo Snails, Peppermint Shrimp, Banded Trouchus Snails, and Emerald Crabs

Question #2: Does anyone think this livestock could be problematic?

Last edited:
I can't comment on the livestock, but if you're thinking of going sps I might reconsider having sand and switching the leds for a tried and true sunpower. You would probably need about 4 of those ai 26s to get enough spread to cover an sps tank that size.

I knew you weren't going to be out for very long! Welcome back!

And sometimes you just need a smaller tank...:lolspin:

I can't comment on the livestock, but if you're thinking of going sps I might reconsider having sand and switching the leds for a tried and true sunpower. You would probably need about 4 of those ai 26s to get enough spread to cover an sps tank that size.

I have been thinking of supplementing with T5 lighting also. I think that will definitely help out here.

I knew you weren't going to be out for very long! Welcome back!

And sometimes you just need a smaller tank...:lolspin:

Thanks Hanna. I am very excited about this new tank. I picked it up yesterday from Your Reef and started to look things over. From what I can see, I am extremely pleased with the tank build, the stand, and definitely the direction I am taking so far. However, might need a few adjustments before I am "complete"

Consider a Calcium reactor over dosers for SPS. Waaaay more reliable!

Do you recommend a certain Calcium reactor over another? This might be something that I might look at getting after the first year the tank is running.

I think the regulator is more important than the reactor. The Aquariumplants electrionic is the way to go. Ask around, all The Godfather's use it. TP, MP, TB

Thanks 79chopperdr. :)

Well, the tank is in place with Hydras mounted. I added a sump light since it was way to dark in there. Going to work on the rock structure this week and hope to take a picture this weekend.

+1 bare bottom
+ 1 Good co2 reg. If you decide to have the added maint and complexity of a co2 reactor the regulator will ruin you if it is not uber adjustable.

Personally, I'm going with dosers for my upcoming project.

Bio load looks a little high if you are wanting minimal maintenance. All those reactors will handle the bio load but at the added complexity and mant task.

Looks like a fun project!

+1 bare bottom
+ 1 Good co2 reg. If you decide to have the added maint and complexity of a co2 reactor the regulator will ruin you if it is not uber adjustable.

Personally, I'm going with dosers for my upcoming project.

Bio load looks a little high if you are wanting minimal maintenance. All those reactors will handle the bio load but at the added complexity and mant task.

Looks like a fun project!

I am still trying to reduce the fish load and definitely a work in progress. New list is:

1 - Splendid Dottyback
1 - Blue Sapphire Damselfish (aka Springer Damselfish)
1 - Sixline Wrasse
1 - White Tail Bristletooth Tang
2 - Chalk Bass
3 - Tracy's Damselfish

That puts me at 9 fish with a maximum length of all fish at 28 inches. I know that inches per gallon does not apply in a saltwater environment but I am trying to keep the total length as low as possible while having fish in the tank for movement.

You'll love the Reefer 350. Is the deluxe one the one that now comes with the lights?

yes, the deluxe model has the AI Hydra 26 HD's. So far I am excited to try them out. The last LED's I had were the Ecotech Radion 3 pro's and I did like them. The Hydra's are definitely different but looks to be producing a ton of light. I shall see.

Last edited:
As promised :beer:

going with no sand on this build. Went to TAPS Plastics to get a piece of 1/4 inch StarBoard for the bottom in which I siliconed the board to the bottom of the tank. That way the rocks won't slide as easy.

There are tons of nooks and caves and I think i was able to add about 85 lbs of rock to the tank. With the 2 8x8x4 MarinePure blocks that I am planning to add to the sump, I will have a ton of surface area for bacteria to grow.

Not planning to take off the black plastic on the back since the backyard is facing south. I do have a patio cover and the tank will get direct sunlight for 30 minutes during the early (6:30 am) summer mornings only.

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1
  • FrontSide.jpg
    FrontSide.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 2
  • LeftSide.jpg
    LeftSide.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1
  • RightSide.jpg
    RightSide.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1
Okay, final structure and JB Water Weld'ed together now with 3 sticks of that stuff. No going back now. Also put one of the Maxspect xf250's on the left side near the overflow. the other xf250 will be going on the other side of the overflow once that comes in. Decided to go with the 250's vice the 230's because the 230's looked a little small and if an upgrade is in the future, those pumps would have to be replaced anyways.

Also got 2 bags of Reef Crystal Salt that I won at the MARS raffle tonight that will help me out :lolspin:

Attachments

• Centerview.jpg
    Centerview.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Leftside.jpg
    Leftside.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1
  • rightside.jpg
    rightside.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1
Hey nice to meet you in person! Very clean tank man!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks, it was great to put a face with a name and it was great to see you also. We see names in this forum but never really put them with a face.

The tank is definitely a work in progress. Focusing more of filtration and keeping everything in check. The last take was set up way to fast and I think tried to cut a few corners. But, I am not cutting corners this time. :)

Okay, some equipment changes :)

Maxspect XF 250 With Advance Controller
Maxspect XF 250 pump only
Ecotech Vectra M1

The Deepwater pump was on back order for 4 weeks already so John @ Your Reef and I both came to the conclusion that it would be a better fit and probably a better product all together. ;)

The Maxspects were switched out because I wanted to turn the pumps down and have heard that the gyre pumps might get louder if turned above 50%. So to solve that issue, I decided to do the next size up and will be turning them down way down. But, I have a ton of flow if I need it. :D

Thank you Anthony and Marius. I am looking forward to this tank more then the 280 I had about 9 months ago. However, the 280 was amazing but this tank seems to be more in line with my wife's ideas of how my lifestyle should be. You got to love those "honey-do" lists

Back