Tilapia as fish food?

Jintz

Can you use a tiliapia filet to use with other raw foods as fish food? I dont think its a oily fish but I want to make sure.

Sure. If you can, though, it does help to buy it frozen to make absolutely sure that parasites in it are dead. If you get it fresh, maybe freeze it yourself. I make a slurry in a blender and freeze it in an icecube tray and thaw a little at a time when I want to feed everyone.

Fish are not very picky ... ever gone fishing and seen a guy puke .. just another version of chum which fish will scarf down.

Although Tilapia will be eaten it's not the optimum food. Tilapia is a freshwater fish being fed to salt water carnivores. The chemical makeup may not be adequate for saltwater fish.

I use frozen mixed seafood to prepare my home made fish food. Buy it for $3.99 /pound at the local grocery store. Fish(varies)squid, clams, oysters, and mussels, add some sushi wrap and ro/di and chop away with the food processer (or blender).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12899369#post12899369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu
Buy it for $3.99 /pound at the local grocery store. Fish(varies)squid, clams, oysters, and mussels, add some sushi wrap and ro/di and chop away with the food processer (or blender).

Thats it, i'm moving to FL. You can't buy any seafood here, for that price. :mad: Just last week, Salmon was $17.99/pound. And that was a special. Packing up and heading down I95.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12899369#post12899369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu
Although Tilapia will be eaten it's not the optimum food. Tilapia is a freshwater fish being fed to salt water carnivores. The chemical makeup may not be adequate for saltwater fish.

I use frozen mixed seafood to prepare my home made fish food. Buy it for $3.99 /pound at the local grocery store. Fish(varies)squid, clams, oysters, and mussels, add some sushi wrap and ro/di and chop away with the food processer (or blender).

Agu....Right now I'm feeding a mix of Rods Food & Cyplop-eez. I have seen your posts before about your home mix.

Would it be better then what I'm using.....or just cheaper???

Any chance that you could send me a PM....With the fish, clam squid...amounts that you use....I would love to try it.

Thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12900011#post12900011 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MinnFish
Thats it, i'm moving to FL. You can't buy any seafood here, for that price. :mad: Just last week, Salmon was $17.99/pound. And that was a special. Packing up and heading down I95.

Try an Asian market. I used to live in Mn and bought the same type of product but I don't remember the price. Also got my sushi wrap there. Just make sure it doesn't have added spices.

Flipper, Don't know if it's better but it's cheap at about $6 / pound. I sprinkle cyclopeeze over the thawed mixture before feeding and let it soak so it sinks instead of floating. I have no idea what the ratio of seafood is in the bag but I've been feeding it for several years now.

I prefer silversides--by feeding the whole fish guts and all the fish are getting fish oils and other nutrients that they do not get in flake food ect

I do the blender thing too
silver sides
raw shrimp
oyster
octopus
clam
brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
vita chem and garlic
and then freeze it in ice cube trays

Back