Time for Tank Reboot?

That makes sense. I actually set up my 300dd for 5k, and that includes the brand new ATB skimmer I started with ($1300). I still need some lights so it'll be 5800 all said and done. Bought almost everything used. I transferred my apex, one tunze, and lighting for one section from my old tank, everything else was new (to me). So setup up can be very reasonable, relatively speaking. As long as you stick with reliable brands, just get everything used.

Just wait until you start tinkering... Calcium reactor, Kalk reactor, different supplements, etc, etc. I set mine up cheap too, but you'll always be adding. Took me a couple years to get it all "just right".

Lol Chad! I can relate! I have geo 624 with high end dual stage reg and metering valve and cole parrmer peristaltic pump waiting to go. And yup $1000 bucks there!

Lol Chad! I can relate! I have geo 624 with high end dual stage reg and metering valve and cole parrmer peristaltic pump waiting to go. And yup $1000 bucks there!

Haha, yep. Got a big korallin commercial reactor and had to add a bigger pump and 26 pounds of media. Had to upgrade to a full apex, and Kalkwasser reactor to compensate for CO2 off the effluent. It's a never ending battle haha

Haha, yep. Got a big korallin commercial reactor and had to add a bigger pump and 26 pounds of media. Had to upgrade to a full apex, and Kalkwasser reactor to compensate for CO2 off the effluent. It's a never ending battle haha

But I think it's an addiction! Boys and their toys! Sorry to see you breaking down the 300DD..... But ...... "you'll be back" :cool:

Just wait until you start tinkering... Calcium reactor, Kalk reactor, different supplements, etc, etc. I set mine up cheap too, but you'll always be adding. Took me a couple years to get it all "just right".

My tanks been up and running for over a year now, so I've got everything except the lighting I mentioned. The only change I may make down the road would be to switch from my dosers to ca reactor, which judging by current and past used prices should cost me around 200-300. Which would bring the total up to 6. But I agree with your point in general. I've been in the hobby for over 15 years now so I know what I like lol.

Z, if you set up a big FOWLR it's a matter of time before you switch it over to SPS. Could you go partially in wall? IIRC you have a laundry room or something behind that wall, correct? You could easily house a 36" deep tank if you cut it out and had the back accessible.

z, if you set up a big fowlr it's a matter of time before you switch it over to sps. Could you go partially in wall? Iirc you have a laundry room or something behind that wall, correct? You could easily house a 36" deep tank if you cut it out and had the back accessible.

+1

Arron,

Yes you are correct. There is a laundry room behind wall but I found out that it also has the drain pipes from the above bathroom and laundry. In wall option will cost me a pretty penny.

I highly doubt with the fish selection I had planed that I would go with any coral. But then again its hard to resist the temptation :).

Back