Tips to get clownfish to use a host anemone

My girl loved her two previous green BTA to death, literally. Now I have a red one in the exact same spot and she won't touch it.

Have a pair of tank breed Ocellaris from when they were tiny. They have lived together in my 90 for 2 years. About a year ago I purchased my first green BTA (not sure if wild or captive split). I placed it near their home corner. It took about an hour for her to host it. She was happy.

http://s49.photobucket.com/user/Cheburashka2/media/aquarium/1258669_10200679628250105_39181_n-1.mp4.html

Few days later the BTA deflated (they do this). She kept trying to primp and fluff it, but it fell apart. I thought maybe I got a sick one. So after waiting for about two weeks for any chemical ill effects to clear, I got another green BTA (again not sure if wild or captive split). Put it in same spot. She found it right away again. This one lasted about 3 weeks then fell apart. She wandered all over the tank (something she never does) looking for it.

So now I believed it is something I was doing wrong and was not testing for. Eventually found that my Iodine was low. Everything in tank looks better now so certain that was causing issues.

About a month ago I got a red tank-split BTA. Placed it in the same spot. I have never seen her approach it. BTA is still healthy. So now I am stumped. Maybe she does not like red. Maybe a tank split one does not 'smell' good to her. Not sure. I put a new wavemaker in her corner but that did not change any behavior. I'll to try putting up clown picture to 'scare' her. I am also tempted to 'borrow' a green one again to see if that matters.

Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for sharing!

Have a pair of tank breed Ocellaris from when they were tiny. They have lived together in my 90 for 2 years. About a year ago I purchased my first green BTA (not sure if wild or captive split). I placed it near their home corner. It took about an hour for her to host it. She was happy.

http://s49.photobucket.com/user/Cheburashka2/media/aquarium/1258669_10200679628250105_39181_n-1.mp4.html

Few days later the BTA deflated (they do this). She kept trying to primp and fluff it, but it fell apart. I thought maybe I got a sick one. So after waiting for about two weeks for any chemical ill effects to clear, I got another green BTA (again not sure if wild or captive split). Put it in same spot. She found it right away again. This one lasted about 3 weeks then fell apart. She wandered all over the tank (something she never does) looking for it.

So now I believed it is something I was doing wrong and was not testing for. Eventually found that my Iodine was low. Everything in tank looks better now so certain that was causing issues.

About a month ago I got a red tank-split BTA. Placed it in the same spot. I have never seen her approach it. BTA is still healthy. So now I am stumped. Maybe she does not like red. Maybe a tank split one does not 'smell' good to her. Not sure. I put a new wavemaker in her corner but that did not change any behavior. I'll to try putting up clown picture to 'scare' her. I am also tempted to 'borrow' a green one again to see if that matters.

Great video! A couple of readers left what worked for them as comments following the article if you want to check them out.

One of our team members is also trying to make his clown bond with the anemone by isolating them together. He hasn't yet reported back whether this was successful so it was not discussed in the article (although it looks like it in the photo).

Back