TO: Dell mini laptop screen issue and other minor issue

d34532

Hi all,

Just a heads up for anyone out on the market for a mini laptop/netbook. If your thinking about the mini from dell I would stay away mainly due to the screen issue. The largest res you can set it at is 1060x600 which is too small I guess. With some program windows being too large and it cuts off at the bottom. So when you get windows those screen that doesn't fit you lost the buttons and input boxes at the bottom. The only solution is to do blind tap button and enter, repeat if you hit cancel or back when you were aiming for next.

Issue on this was when I try to connect to a new networks and a few installation program windows.

Dell knows about this and will have it fixed by Oct.

minor issue my laptop os is xp home. desktop used to create the image file is xp pro

There is no CD drive (know about this before ordering). I planned to use a ext usb HD and image my disk so I don't have to carry disk and ext cd/dvd rom drive. Some image I ended couldn't use because I got error stating some state 64bit issue and other image stated 32bit issue. I guess my laptop xp home and/or desktop xp pro are not 32 or 64 bit but something else. Had to use cd/dvd drive in the end to install the programs. Same image file was able to work fine on other desktop regardless of xp version.

The Lenovo Ideapad is very nice...got one for the wife and no complaints yet. It does not have a CD/DVD drive, but much smaller that it can fit in her bag. And the screen size is 12", added bonus for a nice price too.

Oh went through 2 chat with tech support. First one told me a "Sure Fix" I spent about 80mins DL all the files (bios, dell drivers, video drivers) some 250mb to get jack zero improvement. Got the laptop Tues, online/phone chat DL install program Wed., Today was told there is no solution but they are working on it with a fix by Oct.

Its great that dell test their products line before releasing it to the market. Going to send it back I'm not going to wait till worst case they fix it in Oct if it doesn't get delay.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15443360#post15443360 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by d34532
Oh went through 2 chat with tech support. First one told me a "Sure Fix" I spent about 80 mins DL all the files (bios, dell drivers, video drivers) some 250mb to get jack zero improvement. Got the laptop Tues, online/phone chat DL install program Wed., Today was told there is no solution but they are working on it with a fix by Oct.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations man. I feel ya. I've been through all these troubleshooting/tweaking/modding stuff when I was younger and I just got sick of it. I threw all my PC's away and switched to a Mac. Now I'm regretting...... that I didn't do it sooner!!

Sorry to hear that every one is having problems. The screen problem is with all Mini computers that is why HP is revamping there's as well. The 12 laps are cool but that is a normal size always avaliable. But the 10" are really nice screen size is a cool feature when you want to take on a plane or someting. Nice thing about the Dell comes with large Hard Drive. And External DVDRW are only $60. So you have to give a little to gain a lot

never buy a DELL!! fyi, after repairing my notebook 4 times, and finally losing it, they sent me a replacement.
The replacement had a cracked frame missing rubber feet and the mother board failed within 2 months. When I complained, Dell said because they lost my laptop my new POS can't be replaced.
It is not worth it to me to file a claim, too late now anyway, better just to tell my story.

I hope Michael Dell gets busted for options back dating.

lam, i feel your frustrations with my mini laptop! that is why i had to borrow your usb drive. it doesnt come with one which was no big deal until i found that i needed to run xp pro rather than xp home.

btw: i never did get xp pro to load or work on the mini laptop. looks like they have a few more bugs to iron out.

i switched from the hp mini 10.1 to an acer 11.6. it wasnt the extra 1.5" that made me change...it was the fact that the acer has a full size, albeit small, keyboard! i totally prefer a mini laptop over a full size laptop for sheer ease of portability from reduced size and lowered weight. they will get cheaper and cheaper and better and better and smaller and smaller!:D

LoL Im a computer geek a lot less now then before. most problems I can solve without the tech support because those jokers on the other line know nothing about computer. All they do is read a list of TS steps from their end. I still couldn't believe the 1st tech support wanted me to take a pen and paper and have me write down the steps and links because I was talking to him away from my computer.
I told him to email me the steps Freaking link was 3 lines long each in the email.

Ben,
Yeah I kinda know that was your issue also. Beside the screen issue and slower processor speed I really like it for ease of use. I order it with the upgrade battery which was nicely placed at the far end and gave the bottom a nice angle lift. it was also very easy to carry around.

LoL I love dell because of their business model lol got an extra monitor 20" monitor for Semi free. Without going into a long story return 1 broken item (they lost it, wouldn't credit me for it but less then the monitor value). They sent me 2 incorrect 20" monitor and 1 correct monitor (only ordered 1). Shipped 1 monitor back and kept 1 incorrect monitor because they refuse to credit me the item they lost and wouldn't send me a return shipping label for the 2nd.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15443478#post15443478 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtm
Sorry to hear about your frustrations man. I feel ya. I've been through all these troubleshooting/tweaking/modding stuff when I was younger and I just got sick of it. I threw all my PC's away and switched to a Mac. Now I'm regretting...... that I didn't do it sooner!!

LoL you should have read and listen to how dell was a few years back when I first order from them lol The order was so messed up I was on the phone for about 1+ hour each day min and 10+ email back and forth about 4 days a week for about 6 weeks.

LoL Just did another series of phone call with sales at dell over the weekend and lunch time and got my dell on order its going to be sick and the price tag was more then I hoped for but the sale guy I finally got good me up better then the sale guy over the weekend's quote in way of better cpu, faster hd drive, back lit keyboard, and some other stuff for $100 more well worth the price for the cpu and hd speed going to have 512mb video too.

Im going to put a 84,000 polygon model to the test and do some rendering.

Back