Toadstool

dyeman

Hey all. I have a Toadstool Leather I got from Gary M and up until a few days ago it was doing great. For the last 3 days the polyps have not come out and it seems to have a dull green patch on the top and it doesn't seem to "spread out like it used to". I have had some fluctuation in water chemisty but have it stable again. Most of my other coral (sps, lps and sofites) I know Toadstools are generally fairly hardy but thought this one would start showing signs of recovery by now. Anyone else with similaar exsperience.

Thanks

hmmm sounds like its going through a sheding cycle. I could be wrong but wait a little bit and see if a white stringy gel comes off of it. If you notice I would try to net it as well I have read that its toxic

Hope this helps
Scott

Haven't seen any spew and I was taking a wait and see attitude. Although I do have a clown that thinks it can host in it. Kind of wondering if that could stress it out.

Thanks
D

My clown hosts in what I would call a pincushion Sarcophyton (see avatar). The leather seemed annoyed at first but now has accepted its new companion.

Toadstool

Welll its been looking like this for about 4 days now, is this normal?
Parameters aren't too far out of range, but have been doing 10% water changes every couple of days to get it back in line

PH 8.2
Alk Low
Salinity 1.026
Calcium 375
Nitrate .1 if that

97733sick_toad.jpg

i have a suggestion regarding your water changes, i know water changes are great but i noticed you said every couple of days, now is it possible your temp drops or you drop salinity when you do these water changes....personally i would cut back on the water changes to once a week, and dont touch it, and no the clown wont kill your toadstool, they adpt to them, like hakfishes adaot to leathers and toads...it doesnt look like it has any sick spots on it...personallly i would make sure it has current , and slow down water changes unless nitrates and ph and salinity get way out of wack,

Yea these frequent water changes were spurred mainly by an outbreak of red slime algae. Did have a chemistry spike with salinity as well. I had been doing changes once a month until now.

Back