Too big of a skimmer?

Fish on

Did I go too big with the skimmer? Again I have a 90 gal tank with a 29 gal sump tank. I bought the Coralife 220g super skimmer after reading a ton of reviews online. But when I put in the sump, it's huge and won't leave much room for a fuge. Should I go smaller on the skimmer to have a bigger fuge, or is it better to keep the bigger skimmer? I'll try to attach a pic if I can.

Wouldn't let me upload pic but sump is 30" long. Skimmer takes up first 13" of it so I'll
Only have 17" for fuge, bubble trap and return pump.

I would say bigger skimmer, from what I have read the skimmer is more efficient. Not %100 sure though. I’m sure more people will comment

I would toss the Coralife or see what you can get for it on eBay. It's one of the worst skimmers out there. I don't know your budget but as far as size goes a skimmer rated for around 120 gallons would be good. You want to get a quality skimmer that you can set and forget. The Coralife skimmers are very unreliable and they will constantly fluctuate on you causing inconsistent results.

Look at Aquamax, Reef Octopus, Skimz, Bubble Magus they are all good brands. There are many others too, just look at reviews in more than one place and you can narrow it down.

It's appropriate in stated gallonage it will handle, but is not as efficient as some smaller ones. In a 100, that skimmer pulled weak brown skimmate. A different skimmer pulled dark blackish green muck. Take a look at the E-Shopps of the same size.

So the aquamax fc-120 is $250 and the eshipps s-200 is $450. Is the wshipps that much better than the aquamax? I see good and bad reviews on both. I don't mind spending the extra money if it's worth it.

Back