too much current for a seahorse?

xxseawolf

i have a 55g reef tank with 700+ gph running through it. i would love to add a seahorse to it but i dont know if it can stand the current. i also have some aggressive eaters and ive read that they would probably starve. what would you feed a seahorse and what would be the odds of it living with a coral beauty angel, maroon clown, red pearlescale butterfly, lyrestail anthias, and a purple tangle. thanks for any help

Not good. Sorry, but the current may be too much for it, depending on how much it is dispersed in the tank. Also, the tankmates really would not be a good idea. Captive bred seahorses are fed a diet primarily made up of frozen mysis. They usually take a while to eat, and stare at their food a while before snicking it up, so aggressive eaters essentially starve them. Also, if your reef tank has any stinging corals, when the seahorses try to hitch to them they will get stung. I'd also look into seahorse temperature requirements, as you usually don't want to go over 74 degrees, even with the tropical species.

Why don't you look into some pipefish. There are some beautiful pipefish that are more suited to the reef aquarium.

i have a 30G hex tanks with 50lbs of live rock, i small seabae anemone, 2 perc clowns, firefish gobie, and a possible royal gramma in the futture. i would love to have 1 or 2 seahorses. also i have 2-200GPH wavemaker powerheads. if that is too much i can take 1 out. anyways i would love to have a seahorse in my aquarium, but if not compatible oh well, can always set up a seahorse tank(HEHE). thanks for any help.

Seawolf, the problems in your aquarium are the anemone and the clowns. The clowns are likely too aggressive and too fast and would stress the seahorses and eat all their food. Anemones are a very big no-no with seahorses because seahorses drag their tails across everything and hitch to everything, which means there is a very good chance they will get stung by any anemone in the aquarium, which could result in their death.

poop. the nicest thing i could think of to say. i would love to have a seahorse or 2 so i guess i will have to set up a small tank. i would like to add some tank mates so what would you suggest, firefish(they are shy) scooter blenny? thanks for the help, you have been so kind

firefish are good, so are gobies, blennies are hit or miss - sometimes they can suprise you and be really aggressive, peppermint shrimp are also okay, as well as non-stinging corals. On the cleanup crew, avoid predators like sea stars and starfish, but all of the common snails like nassarius are fine.

I've never tried them. From what I read before stocking my tank, there seem to be a lot of problems with the cleaner shrimp "harassing" the seahorses. Basically, it seems like seahorses don't like to be cleaned and it stresses them out.

Back