Too much light

Stixbaraca

Ever sinc the NJ swap this weekend, and my evergrowing thoughts of getting more serious about SPS, I have been pondering my lighting (2 x 150W HQI 14K Phoenix, and 2 x 39W T5 actinic). My thoughts now are on getting up to a 2 x 250W HQI and the T5...too much for my 58 gallon?

LOL! your lucky you got married this past summer... cause if she heard those plans she would have kicked you to the curb immediatly!!!!

(go for the 2x250!-- you can stay at my place as long as you need to!)

Are they growing? Are the colors working? Remember your temp will go up and you will need to change coral placement

Things are growing well (as good as they can without a Ca reactor or anything other than the 2 part) I like the colors I am getting as well from the SPS. I know i have a nutrient situation form overfeeding the fish that I am working on. There is only one coral I don't get good color from...not sure the name.

2 x 250 would be a ton of light. i would work on a bigger system then get the lights. I have 2 150 HQi on the back of my system and the corals are fine in that area

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a light/heat question. My tank is in the process of being plumbed to the basement. Right now I have 3x250mh and 8x39w T5 on the tnak and I definitely notice that the temp goes up significantly (with only one MH on). I put glass tops on the tank this week too to prevent evaporation. This is a 125g (72x18x24)

My two questions:
1. Will plumbing this to the basement remove the need for a chiller? Do you run a chiller on your tanks?

2. The plastic hinge on the versa tops gets very very hot. Is this okay? Anyone have any experience with these? Should I be concerned?

Back