Torch Frag

Foody

I was blessed today with a couple of new frags for my tank, a leather hand (about 2" across), a blue and white candy cane (12 heads) and a todd's torch (2 heads). As the guy was cutting the torch for me, one of the 2 heads cracked. I have it in my tank right now in a protected position basically holding the cracked head together. The sweepers are out and it was quite pleased when I pumped a couple of ml of brine shrimp into the middle of it. Need I be concerned about the cracked head? Will it heel on it's own or should I pull it out and put a bit of super glue on it?

Yes you need to immediately seal the torch back together with super glue. Loctite superglue gel. Its in a small triangle shaped container at home depot or lowes. Shake the torch in the tank to retract the tentacles. Carefully dry off the torch skeleton, while holding it upside down, with tentacles towards the floor. When skeleton is dry enough for glue, apply a few globs on the skeleton crack. Hold it out of the water for about 3 mins or so. Then dunk the coral in the water, and take it right back out. Superglue will harden from going underwater. Then wait a minute or two, and place the torch back in the tank...

Steve

Surgery is complete. Thanks for the guidance. Just out of curiosity, what would have happened if I hadn't done that?

What was posted above. The torch will eventually grow new skeleton, and will be good as new. once it grows enough new skeleton, i recommend cutting away the old portion that was cracked, to prevent the original crack from growing into the new skeleton.

Not sure I'll be able to cut away the crack. It was a perfect crack (like a puzzle piece) and I simply glued it right back into place.

There is another post here advertising a Todd's Torch for $100 per head. Is that the going rate? Mine is 1 head that is just about to split into 2... in other words it is a huge head. I didn't pay anywhere near that. Wow.

How do you tell if it's a fake? I just bought 2 heads for 120$....if the crack exposed and tore into the flesh and skeleton brown jelly could start.

Not sure I'll be able to cut away the crack. It was a perfect crack (like a puzzle piece) and I simply glued it right back into place.

There is another post here advertising a Todd's Torch for $100 per head. Is that the going rate? Mine is 1 head that is just about to split into 2... in other words it is a huge head. I didn't pay anywhere near that. Wow.

The head that I sold a 3-4 months ago for $80 went in 5 minutes with a group of people asking to be next in line. I noticed a couple of sales for $100 after that and gave it a whirl as a single sale price. Like always, my corals are significantly cheaper if someone buys a few things. I think most people do the same.

I've noticed that there are less people interested in buying multiple heads, which drives the price down. Like anything. A two poly frag of a popular zoanthid might cost $10-20. A colony of 30 polyps might cost less than $2-5 per head.

i have "broken" a few heads like tis in my fraggn life and i'm very sorry to say that they usually died . sometimes they will live for a few weeks but they usually succumb to infection and its very difficult to get them through this situation . best wishes

Yes you need to immediately seal the torch back together with super glue. Loctite superglue gel. Its in a small triangle shaped container at home depot or lowes. Shake the torch in the tank to retract the tentacles. Carefully dry off the torch skeleton, while holding it upside down, with tentacles towards the floor. When skeleton is dry enough for glue, apply a few globs on the skeleton crack. Hold it out of the water for about 3 mins or so. Then dunk the coral in the water, and take it right back out. Superglue will harden from going underwater. Then wait a minute or two, and place the torch back in the tank...

Steve

Wanted to give you props Steve. I ran to Home Depot once I read this and bought some Loctite Ultra Gel and it saved my torch head :). It split into 3 small pieces and was oozing a bit of brown slime. I used some ReVive Coral Cleaner for 10 minutes, then glued it back together and its happy! Perfect!

great use of RC's "search"

great use of RC's "search"

old thread saved the day!

Oh. Steve: if you see this thread ...how's it goin? Still in Tejas?

Back