Totally Frustrated!!!

precisionmike

Hey Guys. I am getting TOTALLY frustrated...
-Skimmer update:
Got home last night, noticed skimmer wasn't skimming, no bubbles in the unit itself. TONS of bubbles going into the tank. So I pulled the unit out, pulled it all apart and cleaned(it was actually quite clean). Proceded to put it back in the tank. Whamo- Skimmin like a dream...Still TONS of bubbles going into the tank. Dave-I tried all we have talked about in the past, now its crazy worse. (thanks again for all the input) I got kinda a "seltzer" theme goin on... I really don't want to do a sump.
-Mantis update: He will only come out for my son, I haven't seem him in a few days. I want to ID him to see how much of a bad-boy he will be in my tank(I have $35 worth of snails coming!)I PM Roy in CA, I checked his ID list and saw no pics of my guy. If he is OK, i would like to keep him in there. If not, Imma goin huntin.
-Oh yeah, now I am gettin some nasty hair algea. I was told to get a sea slug to take care of that problem. Ideas?
-Still fighting the bubbles on the L/R and back glass issue. I believe it to be photosynthysis producing oxygen. I hope my new snails will eat the algea, no bubbles. Skimmer issue could also be hurting.
-The good news is that I picked up my frag workshop coral from Matt C last night(thanks again Matt) and it looks great! Thanks again to all especially Michael G- VERY informative.
So anyway, Iam just trying to keep things nice, but keep hitting walls. I know, be pacient. Thanks in advance for any more input.mike.

I don't recommend nudibrachs to control algae. Mexican turbos do a great job on hair algae, as do most urchins.
I'll re-itterate what you already said.
Be patient, breath deeply, and enjoy your reef. What kind of lights do you have running, and how old are they? I swapped out my halide bulb a couple days ago, and instantly my cyano problem has gone away....

Michael...thanks for the chuckle, I needed that. I have (2)150watt MH 10K, and (2)48"40 watt florescent. The MH are only about 3 months old. I just hope I don't throw my skimmer across the room..mike.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6823453#post6823453 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by precisionmike
Michael...thanks for the chuckle, I needed that. I have (2)150watt MH 10K, and (2)48"40 watt florescent. The MH are only about 3 months old. I just hope I don't throw my skimmer across the room..mike.
you could take a look at the lighting and infiltration forum on RC. I know they have a thread about the choral life skimmer . You might be able to find some pointers there.

OK here's another piece of michaelg wisdom

NEVER throw a skimmer across the room, especially if there is anything in it.......

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6824620#post6824620 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by michaelg
OK here's another piece of michaelg wisdom

NEVER throw a skimmer across the room, especially if there is anything in it.......
:lol:

mike the cause of the loss of bubbles was the air tube. if you just removes the air tubing and the connection piece to the pump cleaned the hole that the air tube connects to the pump...replaced the skimmer and it would have started right up. next time dont get too extream and just do this. these skimmers need to have this noozle cleaned periodically from time to time . it is an easy fix. again next time that this occurs do not take the whole skimmer apart . let it be and just do what i just stated . i garrentee it will start bubbling again and be back on track. simple maintanace that any salt equipment needs. just make a schedule to maintanace this. no biggie

the unit itself will be clean as its new you have to closely inspect holes and noozles for any little even tiny piece of debri or salt creep. very tedious but important...dont focus on the skimmer itself but the air intake and the pump...thats where the issue lies...not the chamber itself.

Mike
I have the same skimmer. It takes a few days to get all the bubbles down. Once its broken in it works great. Just give it time.

our lfs has had to replace 2 out of a bunch something to do with the pump not doing something one they moded to make it work the other 2 have gone back.

i did bring this up with mike too. his pump may be malfunctioning. if you contact the company and make a stink about it. they will exchange a new pump for the possibly defective unit. but one thing that is common with these skimmers is the little noozle that the air line tube connects to accumilates salt creep. if you look fast it looks fine but if you stick a pin in the hole and scrape a bit at the sides of the hole it may/will flake off (this is salt creep and effects the skimmer) 5this stuff needs to be removed.
but it is totally possible the pump is not operating properly and may be defective.

Hate to say it but my super skimmer runs fine... in sump that is. I know you didn't want to get a sump but at least that way you don't have to worry about bubbles, it saves room in the tank and it leaves room for lots of upgrades, like bigger more powerful pumps. No such thing as to much flow unless the water is slashing over the sides(jk). I know your tank is in wall but if you have room we can do an experiment with my old 37 gallon and try and make you a sump out of it. Its pretty easy, we can copy Daves design which works well for my 20 gallon.

Skimmer update: Thanks to all for the input.We did some playing around with it on Sunday(thanks Scott) and it appears to be working much better. Got a big cup of mud in a day, and very little in the way of bubbles... Now I am back to LOVING my Coralife skimmer! Thanks again,mike.

yessss! good to hear! remember the best part of being on this board and being part of the club is getting advice and even getting members to hands on help. take advantage its a club! lol...seriosly happy to hear ..now for gods sake leave it alone...lol!!!!

Re: Totally Frustrated!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6823302#post6823302 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by precisionmike
-Oh yeah, now I am gettin some nasty hair algea. I was told to get a sea slug to take care of that problem. Ideas?
-

We just put a sea hare in the tank Friday night and went to Florida for a few days. Came back and the hair algae was gone! Awesome. Those things are tanks. Not a permanent fix but enough to bring you back to sanity while you work on the root of the problem.

Back