Trace Element for Colors: Fauna Marin or Red Sea

Logzor

There are at least 3 or 4 companies than now carry a 3-4 part package for trace element dosing and maintenance. Two of those are Fauna Marin and Red Sea. These are specifically in reference to the Fauna Marin Color Elements vs the Red Set Coral Colors. Both seem to get decent reviews on BRS but the Fauna Marin are more than twice the cost.

I like that the Red Sea tells you what's in each bottle while the Fauna Marin tells which colors are impacted.

Does anyone have first hand experience?

I'm skeptical about the trace elements for coloration. They might work, by poisoning the corals a bit, but coral coloration is a complicated issue. The results of trace element dosing seem to be mixed.

Trace elements for coloration (of the sps mostly) are iron(no iron test is helpfull altough you can find probably a few tests for sale like the red sea one)-improoves green coloration and is good to test it by looking how the corals react and without testing;Iodine (also there is no way to test this altough there are test kits for sale-they are useless) this improoves blue coloration ;and potasium wich is a bad idea to dose it without testing the water first as this can kill your corals and inverts,fish if its in excess-improoves pink and purple colors.In my experience you will never need to dose potasium,i have the test and the potasium salt for a long time and i never dosed it because it never got low.These are the 3 main elements that various brands sell for coloration of corals and they add another trace elements along with these but thoose are of no importance because they arent documented for improoving color.As Bertoni sayd there is also a supplement that slightly poison corals so that they will expell a lot of theyr zooxaanthelae so that they become colored from brown.These is usually the 4 th supplement for coloration and contains copper.From all these 4 main color enhacing supplements i would only use the ones that contain iodine and iron .For these 2 you wont need to test the water.Ditch the K supplement and the copper one.

I've used Fauna and KZ.. I like the KZ stuff. It's expensive but works well.. I use their amino acids for color(mild enhancement) and polyp extension..

But for crazy deep enriched color, pohls.. No doubt.. The regular..

But I have been eyeing their new color system, since it targets specific colors.. You need to go extremely light if you decide to go that route, as they are very strong. I do a max of 50%of dose suggestion on any of their bottles.. And usually, honestly, I use about quarter strength..

But honestly also, my best color was with red sea regular salt.. I got awesome color with just that alone..

From note 5.. rip note 7

Back