Tree Guy

Antman

So does anyone have a good tree guy ? A Huge maple tree just bounced off my roof -I think the only damage is the gutters & my daughters swingset
My tree guy is out of town for the next 2 weeks
Thanks

I have a feeling you won't be alone in searching for a tree guy. My neighbor's pear tree just went down a few minutes ago. It landed between his garage and a fence. No damage that I can see.

check to make sure that the Town you live in does not have any tree ordinances. Huntington for example requires a permit or it would reult in a $500 fine

The Town better not have an ordinances The tree is down already from the storm ,its not like I cut it down

make sure that the person who removes it is in compliance with NYS dept of agricultures asian long horned beetle program, or I'll have to bust them. I guess I'll bring that frag over for you tomorow and check out that tree at the same time if you don't mind.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8067070#post8067070 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishome25
make sure that the person who removes it is in compliance with NYS dept of agricultures asian long horned beetle program, or I'll have to bust them.

Um, "Asian long horned beetle"?? What's that, and what are you doing for a living now that you care????

asian longhorned beetle (ALB). is an invasive species that came over from china. here it goes along tree to tree wiping them out. there are quarantines set up where the ALB has been found in NYC, queens, brooklyn, NJ, chicago, and Ant and I are in the middle of a quarantine zone here in Massapequa/Amityville. The quarantine prevents the movement of host material (Anthony's maple tree) out of the quarantine zone, which is how the beetle spread to Massapequa in the first place. A tree guy that works in the area must be in compliance and know how to dispose of it properly, (must be chipped).

I have a tree I'd like to get rid of, got any Beetles for me :lol:

So, the entire tree has to be chipped?

Just pour some kerosene on it and set it on fire. If anybody says anything about it tell them that lightning struck it and set it on fire. That should take care of any beetles on it too.

well the tree does not have to be chipped as long as it stays in the quarantine, like if Ant wants it for firewood, assuming its not infested. which its highly unlikely it is.

I feel bad turning Ant's thread into a beetle discussion, but.....
This is the first I'm hearing about this, and it sounds like a seroious thing. How long have we known about the beetles being here (LI)? How big it the QT zone? Do they prefer one type of tree, or is any tree good enough for them? Do they eat their way through, and cause a tree to fall?
Are you working for the EPA now?

they have been here since 1996. the zone on LI is most of massapequa,amityville, copaige, and some of lindenhurst. there is also a smaller zone in islip but I believe that has been eradicated. but laws say the quarantine must be found free of infestation for 5 years for the quarantine to be listed. Its my belief the the amityville quarantine is well under control but we do find an infested tree here and there. the areas in the city are not as well contained due to difficulties in getting in people yards. they go after 11 types of trees maple, elm, willow, poplar, plane trees, ash, hackberry, mountain ash, mimosa, birch, and horse chestnut. its actually the larva that due the most damage, chewing their way through the tree and killing it. there is a cooperative program working on this problem between usda and nys dept of agriculture. i work for nys.

Congrats on the new gig, Tom! I've always liked the idea of working for an agency that was trying to make things better, it just never came to be for me.
That's a lot of different trees, and I believe almost all are common here on LI too, right?
It's easy to spot a tree that's infested with the Gypsy Moths, at least in the spring time. Can you actually see the beetle infestation from a distance, or do you have to get "up close and personal"?

Tom,
Congrats on the new gig. I heard about the beatles a few years ago and how serious they are and was actually wondering what was going on with the situation recently.

Tom thanks for stopin by and checking for the ALB althow I think we spent more time looking at my pond and tank

an infested tree can be difficult to spot. we must looks for little chew marks (the "egg sites") and perfectly round holes about the diameter of a pencil (the "exit holes")

I work in Amityville, and a few years ago we had a tree that was infested. They state actually injected the tree for a few months to kill the Beatles and got rid of the infestation, instead of actually cutting it down. It was pretty interesting. Unfortanetly the tree is mostly dead now anyway, and a huge trunk of it came down in the wind on Saturday.

Back