trick to acans?

shecter

so i bought some recovering acans from a member shutting the tank down. i was wondering if there was any tricks to help them bounce back faster? they open and put the feeders out. i do spot feed them once to twice a week. anything else i should be doing? thanks

That's the best way to do it right there.

I've been doing that religiously with a 3 head frag I bought from PC a year ago. Fast approaching 30-40 plump polyps

Amino acids have been doing wonders for me when dealing with recovering coral. The rest is up to good feeding and paramaters being stable. Good luck

awesome thanks guys. the acan frags ive got that are healthy to begin with are doing fantastic. the first one i got was from pc and started as like 3 or 4 and 3 months later its at over 10 with a ton of new growth. just never tried to rehab coral before and it seemed like it was taking longer than it should. another patience thing :D lol what do you use for amino acids tweaked?

Amino acids have been doing wonders for me when dealing with recovering coral. The rest is up to good feeding and paramaters being stable. Good luck

Are you mixing the amino acids into the food when target feeding or just dosing the tank with them?

i have no amino acids. what kind should i look for/do you recommend? and thats like garlic in a sence right? not something thats tested for?

I used Brightwell's Coralamino after a blown power head nuked my sps. Note, all of these recovered in 6 months.

Attachments

• June 6th 2010, All SPS bleached doe to a burned ou.jpg
    June 6th 2010, All SPS bleached doe to a burned ou.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 0
I use Seachem Reef-Plus now and have used Elos Amino Acids (expensive) before. I dose directly into the tank. I also have a turf scrubber that supposedly puts aminos back into the water too, but I've no way to measure this.

well coming from you i know its good stuff. ill have to find some(brightwells). ive heard great things about the seachem line but nothing about the aminos until now.

Were these bleached and you brought them back?

Yes, they were perfectly healthy. Then, I performed a water change with salt that was mixing in a bucket with a power head that had burned out without my knowing. Literally in 3 hours all of the pigmentation in the SPS flesh was gone but there was still some PE and the house STUNK to high heavens! I researched a solution for a few weeks. Before being turned on to aminos there was no sign of recovery. After about a week of dosing amino to the tank with the skimmer off for about an hour each dosing, the color slowly started to come back.

Back