Triton Test Results

jeffm59

Finally received my results from the Triton testing after they misplaced the sample and had to search for our submittal.

As most of you have seen in previous threads several of us in the Citrus Heights/Orangevale area have been having issues with our water this summer. Whatever is causing the issues in our tanks has been passing through the RO/DI unit even though the water is reading 0 TDS.

Results are as expected

High Al - We have been running Seachem's Phosguard in an attempt to remove excess Barium which has been reported by the local water agency as present in the well water in high concentrations. Phosguard is Al based so it does release it into the water -- easily removed by switching to Fe based GFO which was done shortly after the sample was sent in.

Li and Br are both elements that Triton reports as elevated in many samples from the USA -- belief is that one or both are present in the salt we use.

Phosphate PO4- we had allowed the phosphate to climb from our normal .05 to .12 range we like as the tank was looking a bit better and we wanted to avoid making any changes - We knew we were sending the sample in so we had delayed changing the Phosphate removal media to avoid skewing the results. We have been running GFO instead of Phosguard since the sample was sent and are back to our normal PO4 of .07 mg/l

Good news is copper, arsenic and lead are all reported as zero so they can be ruled out.

The bad news is Triton doesnt test for petro chemicals so those remain the most likely cause of the STN and clam deads we have been seeing but with no confirmation we are still blind as to the cause.

Last edited:
Finally received my results from the Triton testing after they misplaced the sample and had to search for our submittal.
I expect my results back shortly. I am mainly interested in trace mineral depletion running my ATS. How long after you mailed were the results ready?

I expect my results back shortly. I am mainly interested in trace mineral depletion running my ATS. How long after you mailed were the results ready?
It is reported as 2 weeks but we were close to a month. Bad news is they are shutting down for x-mas on the 19th so you might have to wait until late Jan

As a further note -- even though Triton isnt reporting Barium as out of range -- the reported level of 54 is alot greater than the levels I have seen from other reefers reports. And this elevated level is after running the Phosguard to remove Barium for 6 weeks. Pretty strong evidence that this might be a good part of the problem

I have flipped back to GFO -- the Phosguard isnt as effective as reducing PO4 as GFO. I had used two full canisters of Phosguard in 6 weeks before switching.

Tank definitely looks worse now even with the lower PO4 readings since switching to the GFO. Triton states that GFO releases Ba and absorbs Al while the Phosguard removes Ba but leaches Al so they suggest flipping back and forth every media change

Last edited:
I have flipped back to GFO -- the Phosguard isnt as effective as reducing PO4 as GFO. I had used two full canisters of Phosguard in 6 weeks before switching.

Tank definitely looks worse now even with the lower PO4 readings since switching to the GFO. Triton states that GFO releases Ba and absorbs Al while the Phosguard removes Ba but leaches Al so they suggest flipping back and forth every media change

Full as in the one that John sells or full as in BRS reactor full? I have noticed it wasnt as good at p04 removal as well.

The triton seminar in the Denver macna said montipora digitata removes barium naturally. I have several types in my tank. No issue with ba.

Back