Tunze skimmers

michaelg

I am interested in either the 3115 or 233/2 skimmer to put in my sump. How deep does the water level in the sump need to be, and how much room do I need in the sump. What is the main difference between the 2 skimmers.

The 3115 is now the 3115/2 and the 233/2 is now the 220/3 a new pump and more powerful impeller have been added as well as some air intake improvements on the 3115/2. I could confidently recommend these for a tank of up to 75gals of Soft Corals with deep sand bed, macroalgae and few fish. If you are doing SPS corals or a mixture, I would consider a larger skimmer and/or adding other Tunze components. The Tunze skimmer functions on a surface gradient principal. The skimmer does not actively suck in water. It has a pump inside a series of baffles which "loosely" recirculate the water. The water inside the skimmer contacts the water inside the aquarium to exchange molecules. It works roughly like dialysis or even the opposite of what your reverse osmosis system does. It pulls in impurities and can remove up to 80% of the dissolved organics in the water. The advantage of this is it is harmless to live plankton. The draw back is it cannot efficiently floculate suspended matter or really strip the water. It works very well with the other Tunze components to produce pristine low nutrient water, upgrading to a bigger skimmer can also help and if you really know how to use a Tunze and ballance a system they can work quite well on their own. The other advantages will be the energy effieciency. Our biggest skimmers use only 44w of power. The 3115/2 is 4.9" by 4.4" by 16.4" of which 10.2-11.8" must be submerged. A constant water level is critical to proper function. The 220.3 is 11" by 6.1" by 9.2", 2.3-3.5" must be submerged. It also is very sensitive to fluctuations in water level. In order to really help much more or tell you how I would do it I would need to know more about your tank size,sump size(do you want to use a sump) what you are looking to keep, what concerns do you have in particular, what have you used in the past, do you like gadgets or do you want a very basic system?

Back