tunze wavebox flow

The Saltman

Hi guys,

I am going to have a 180 gallon sps and clam dominated reef. So far for flow, I have 2 6100's and a wavebox. How much more flow is the wavebox adding?

I think technically it's adding around 5200 gph (the pump inside the wavebox is a 6200 stream). I have the wavebox, and 1 6100 stream in my 115 (5 foot long tank) and absolutely love the flow. Because the wavebox cycles on and off so quickly to create the wave effect, it just doesn't seem quite the same as watching a stream blast across the tank, but once you see the polyps waving back and forth, you still know you have great flow.

Honestly, I had the tank custom made by Lee Mar specifically to run with the wavebox. Of course, when I say custom, all I had to do was have the overflow teeth lowered by like an extra half an inch, and I had to have the overflow box itself dead center along the back (which meant that the center brace had to be split into two pieces). That way, once the wavebox is dialed in, the water levels will fluctuate on both sides but stay pretty much stationary in the middle (where the overflow is). If I had a standard Oceanic, or AGA style tank with the overflow more towards one side, it wouldn't work at all. One other thing to consider, the longer the tank, the greater the fluctuation of water level on the sides. Honestly, even with the extra effort and expense of having the custom work done, and the money for the Wavebox itself, I think it was worth every penny. I don't think I truely understood the way this flow worked until I got the tank running, and hooked it up, but it really is amazing.

Back