Tyree or ORA - Neon Green Toadstool

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14512074#post14512074 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gflat65
Well, they've been together for over a week, but ther eis no chance they will ever look even remotely similar. They appear to be completely different species (at least).

ORA green toad
ORA-green-toad.jpg

Both Tyree and ORA green toad (Tyree with much greener and longer polyps)
Tyree-and-ORA-toad.jpg

Just saw this thread. I have a Tyree green toadie. Let me tell you, the polyps are long and the green is so bright, it almost "glows"! BTW, mine looks like the Tyree in these pics. You can clearly see how much longer the polyps are.

im pretty sure Tyree doesnt have the only green toadstool.. it originally came from the ocean so theres a good chance theres more out there! i once bought some crazy chalice at a lfs for $40 and it was the size of a small basketball, now it has some exclusive fancy name and sells for $80 per half inch. i got mine green toad on ebay for $20!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14719951#post14719951 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RockinSmall
im pretty sure Tyree doesnt have the only green toadstool.. it originally came from the ocean so theres a good chance theres more out there! i once bought some crazy chalice at a lfs for $40 and it was the size of a small basketball, now it has some exclusive fancy name and sells for $80 per half inch. i got mine green toad on ebay for $20!
I agree. Sometimes people get so focused on the "named" corals that they forget these animals all came from the wild originally. It's a virtual certainty that the people at ORA and Tyree did not find the one and only original coral of each type. For every new "named" coral that comes out this year, I think there's a good chance someone has had it in their tanks for several years, and picked it up much cheaper before a designer label was applied to it.

I agree in essence. In this case, though, the name does (at least with the two pieces I have) what each is capable of looking like. I've still the two side by side and the Tyree doesn't even look like the same species...

It is always interesting to me when someone at a frag swap asks if a coral is X or Y and mention how nice it is, and I say, well, it kinda looks like it, but no lineage (on zoas and things that don't usually have much for lineage), then that person kinda just walks off, like they aren't interested if it doesn't have a name. It seems like it has gotten more prevalent over the last few years. I don't mind the coral naming thing (trades are always cheaper than buying aty high prices;)), generally, but it does create a craze that guides the hobby.

Here is a picture of my Tyree that I've had in my tank for probably close to 5 years. It's one of my favorite corals. FWIW the base of the coral kindof has a purplish/cream color to it. I've fragged it MANY times over the years. :) This is now in my SPS frag tank. I tore down my display to redo it.
Tyree_Sarcophyton_12132008.jpg

does anyone have any pics of these japanese green leathers? the ones that have the green base and supposedly knock the socks off of the tyree version.

The one with the long tenticles is officially a tyree.... The other one with shorter tenticles is an ORA.

The difference is Tyree Toadies were all originally fragged from one mother colony. The ORA was sucessfully grown at the ORA facilities and is not a "wild caught" species. Hence ORA's position on Wild Caught species and preserving the natural environment.

I have two Tyree toadies.

I've seen a couple of pictures of those, Al, but all from the same person (can't remember who). I just saw it recently, too...

Still no comparison with the two side by side;). tyree's is a shade green I don't have in anything else and vibrant. The longer polyps draw a lot more attention, too.

surfnvb-I just got a japanese with the neon green base. I dont know what kind of flow or lighting I should use though. I'll post pics when I can but any recommendations would be great.

Back