Underwater camera suggestions?

mskvarenina

I'd like to put a camera in my aquarium so I can monitor the fish remotely. Due to the postion of the tank it's not relaly possible to put a camera outside the tank pointing towards the tank plus I thought it would be really cool if a fish swam right up to the camera once in a while.

Any suggestions on an inexpensive solution for this?

Not sure I can help much with this, the camera will need to be water proof but also be able to hookup to the internet and those two don't really mesh well

That camera looks pretty cool but it appears to be battery operated. I have a DVR that can capture video streams from wifi cameras but certainly this would be something I'd like to install and forget about.

yeah, I know what your saying, and that is battery powered, so it would be in there for a couple hours then would have to be taken out and recharged..I really don't think there is much as far as what you looking for if anything..

unless something like a review camera would work, the ones that go on vehicles, something like that..maybe..I just did a search and thats one of the first things that came up

What you need is a gopro camera. Waterproof, will do all the remote stuff, and talk to your computer.

A pretty certain gopro can not be used as a webam to monitor...at least I could not figure out how. Also Wifi does not work very well. I have put my gopro in my tank and in order to control it via wifi I had to have my phone within about a foot of the glass.

I looked into this and could not come up with a good solution so I ended up with a webcam looking through from the side of my tank.

you could look into a go pro with the wifi pack. it would need to be recharged each night tho. the wide angle would let you see more of your tank and you can get a hero 2 probably on ebay cheaper then the new ones. idk havent looked too much into it but it could be an option

I too have thought about this in some depth... largely for the purpose of checking up on the tank while away for vaction etc..

I fly RC aircraft (planes, helicopters...) and used to belong to a club. One of the members who was very tech savy actually purchased a small webcam from wallyworld.. attached above his wing... and could literally fly the plane from a monitor sitting inside of his vehicle. The camera was relatively cheap (I think 75 bucks or something), and could even pan left and right. This was some 6 or 7 years ago now... so i'm sure technology has only improved.

Anyway.. I know that's completely out of left field.. but it got me thinking... would your better approach be to purchase a cost effective webcam.... and design an water tight housing (out of some acryllic or a pre-formed water tight container) from there? I'm invisioning a decent piece of LR with a drilled out 'slot' you could slip this whole 'pod' into.

Just a thought.....

You just need to figure out how to mount a webcam or baby monitor you can move and control. I know a guy with a 500g and 180g reefs in his office and this is how he monitors them while on vacation

Back