Urchin suggestions?

T Diddy

Happy to be here
I’m thinking of getting an urchin. I realize that they can be potential wrecking balls, and occasionally chew on things they aren’t supposed to (such as gorgonians), but they still keep drawing my attention.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a particular type of urchin that won’t end up tearing down the reef, or wearing every frag in the aquarium? I’m kind of partial to the tuxedo types, but am curious what experience everyone has.

My blue Tuxedo carries algae around the tank but haven’t seen him pick up a frag.

My pincushion is my frag mover/knocker.

My pencil urchin ended up killing my platygyra brain and has been banished to the sump.

My blue Tuxedo carries algae around the tank but haven’t seen him pick up a frag.

My pencil urchin ended up killing my platygyra brain and has been banished to the sump.
Good to know!

My Pincushion likes to pick up frag plugs and shells.

My Pencil was banished to the fuge after I found him munching on a Purple Ribbon Gorg for the third time.

I got this long spine urchin as a tiny baby. He grew about 6" and I had him for 12 years. He just died. He never tipped over or moved anything and could squeeze into the tiniest places. I am looking for another one.

I got this long spine urchin as a tiny baby. He grew about 6" and I had him for 12 years. He just died. He never tipped over or moved anything and could squeeze into the tiniest places. I am looking for another one.

That’s really interesting. I would’ve thought that the long spine urchin would knock over everything

My tuxedos are really fun but they are complete wrecking crews. They're completely covered in bubble algae, carry frags and snails, drag the entire frag racks around. Definitely not fragtank friendly but should be good in a reef tank with everything tied down.
IMG_20230110_180157417.jpg

Interesting. My Tuxedo Urchin has been a model tankmate. However, he's only about the size of a 50 cent piece.

My tuxedo also (for frags anyway). Mines also only about a quarter to 50 cent piece (but also tends to stay off the glass where my pin cushion wanders all over).

Tuxedo and buy from either a ORA or from Chad Vossen.

They are captive bread and come real small.

They are nice because they are captive bred but also since their size is so small they can get to more areas. They ship better too.. They do grow fast though.

The only thing is urchins can eat anything in their path. I have had them go across coral and eat the glue on the side of the tank.

Back