Used Tunze 9006 or better option?

Josepz

Hi.
I am searching for an skimmer for my 600l tank, but I have only 46cms (or 18 inches) between the bottom of the sump and the main tank, so the skimmer must be less of 46cms long. I can buy an used Tunze 9006 that seems to fit for 100€, but I am not sure if this a good option or should I go for another brand/model that fit in that space...

Please, give me some recommendations

THANKS

158 gallon display with only 18 inches height to play with in sump-YIKES!
only thing that i can think of that would skim well for those specs would be a Tunze 9410. i wouldn't bother with the 9006.

TUNZE MASTER DOC PROTEIN SKIMMER 9410 DC
$434.99

you would probably still need to tilt the skimmer to get the cup off, Doable though. Just about any skimmer you decide to use will probably be either very tight or undersized. You could always go the external route if that's an option for you. May be an eye sore though depending on where the tank is located.

Last edited:
158 gallon display with only 18 inches height to play with in sump-YIKES!
only thing that i can think of that would skim well for those specs would be a Tunze 9410. i wouldn't bother with the 9006.

TUNZE MASTER DOC PROTEIN SKIMMER 9410 DC
$434.99

you would probably still need to tilt the skimmer to get the cup off, Doable though. Just about any skimmer you decide to use will probably be either very tight or undersized. You could always go the external route if that's an option for you. May be an eye sore though depending on where the tank is located.

The hight is because I put the sump on the aquarium table bottom shelf... anyway, even if I put it directly on the ground I get get maybe 6-7 cms more...
I can go for an external skimmer, because the aquarium cabinet is longer than the tank, and I have free space on both sides, but I had bad experiencies with external , out of sump devices and water leaks :lol2:

So, Tunze 9006 is a bad option? I haven't found much reviews about this model, it seems it was not a bestseller.

THANKS for your answer.

The hight is because I put the sump on the aquarium table bottom shelf... anyway, even if I put it directly on the ground I get get maybe 6-7 cms more...
I can go for an external skimmer, because the aquarium cabinet is longer than the tank, and I have free space on both sides, but I had bad experiencies with external , out of sump devices and water leaks :lol2:

So, Tunze 9006 is a bad option? I haven't found much reviews about this model, it seems it was not a bestseller.

THANKS for your answer.

9006 is finecky IME. Any fluctuations in water level or hands in the tank and the foam head drops out. It is also a very slow starter when ever you shut it down. Mine wouldn't settle back in for like 6 to 8 hours after i fired it back up and would never produce any substantial amount of skimmate. i dropped in an old bubble magus NAC6 i had lying around and it kicked the 9006's butt. Pump died shortly after on the NAC but it still worked better. Not a fan, sorry.

if you drop the sump the 7 cm you should have enough room for the 9410 cup removal without having to tilt it. i wouldn't recommend the non DC version of the 9410 unless you like noise. they skim very well, but the AC versions with the turboflotor pump had a lot of vibration. their new DC pumps are much better.

9006 is finecky IME. Any fluctuations in water level or hands in the tank and the foam head drops out. It is also a very slow starter when ever you shut it down. Mine wouldn't settle back in for like 6 to 8 hours after i fired it back up and would never produce any substantial amount of skimmate. i dropped in an old bubble magus NAC6 i had lying around and it kicked the 9006's butt. Pump died shortly after on the NAC but it still worked better. Not a fan, sorry.

if you drop the sump the 7 cm you should have enough room for the 9410 cup removal without having to tilt it. i wouldn't recommend the non DC version of the 9410 unless you like noise. they skim very well, but the AC versions with the turboflotor pump had a lot of vibration. their new DC pumps are much better.
Thank you very much for your honesty. Your words are very valuable to help me take a decision. I will forget the 9006. I'm going to see if 9014 DC fits or what other model, external or not will be fine. Move down the sump is the last I want to do... but if there is no other way,.... Again, THANKS.

Thank you very much for your honesty. Your words are very valuable to help me take a decision. I will forget the 9006. I'm going to see if 9014 DC fits or what other model, external or not will be fine. Move down the sump is the last I want to do... but if there is no other way,.... Again, THANKS.

think the 9410 is like just over 16 inches tall. been a while since i checked the height on mine. At work now or i would throw you a measurement.

good luck with the search

the ATB "nano one" is a super shorty too under 16". 6 inch body and 3.25 neck. That skims like a beast too. they are on sale at ATB USA right now. only need an inch to remove the cup.

the ATB is a little small (short) for 600l but it will skim well since your options for internals are limited.

here's a pic of the ATB in a 15" high sump. operates nice at 6.5 to 7 inches depth

tideline20 sump.jpg

Back