using cap rock in my tank?

CORALFISHG

what is everyone's thoughts on this.. im setting up a 4oo plus gallon tank, and i need alot of rock to fill it.. i was trying to figure out ways to save some money, so i started to think about all the rock that you see on the banks over on lovers key and others in the area.. im planing on doing something like this http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1300282, becuse i need to make some tall pillers, becuse my tank is four foot tall.. any thoughts will be greatly appreciated..

thanks in advance...
jason

I've seen lots of threads on this kind of stuff and once corraline covers it you can't tell the difference. I say go for it. I might try some of this myself when I start on my tank. Sure beats paying 4-5 bucks a lb on live rock to fill a 400 gal tank.

thats what i was figuring.. the only downfall i see is obviously it weighs alot more, and i really don't know what chems are in or on the rocks.. i whould just take a drive down to the gulf and grab some but im afraid of getting in trouble for it.. i have some that i got from some locals that i was gunna use, but they were using it for there gardens, as the edging...

I would use rock rubble or lace rock. Besides being illegal to take any rock out of the Gulf who knows what kind of chemicals and crap is in it. Especially collecting anything near the river...ick.

Ive used Black Lace rock in my tank. Seemed to work fine. I bought it at Ruck Bro's Brick company for less than $1.50 per lb.
Its a Lava rock and was full of holes and very light. The Black Lace looks better than the Brown.

Btw, that thread you showed looks awsome. Makes me want to tear down my tank and fill in the back wall. If you do a build like that , be sure to show pictures.

Back