Using Natural Sunlight on my nano (lot's of pics)

Kalied20

I having been downsizing from my 90 gallon for a couple of weeks and I found a used 24 gallon JBJ DX. I was mainly trying to regain some of my livingroom back. I was trying to decide where to put the Nano and while sitting on the couch thinking I came up with the corner between two windows. Everyone that I talked to a couple of years ago said to avoiding doing this, but if you keep the water clean and keep up the tank WHY NOT?

I have the prefect setup for the light. The morning Sun comes in from the left window. Then for about 2 hours midday the sun is over the roof and only getting a litte. About 2pm the sun comes in the right side window very strong till about 6pm. This was perfect since the tank would heat up a lot if the sun hit it all day. I didn't want to run a chiller $$$$.

To the pictures:

First day with afternoon sunlight
newnanonaturalsun2.jpg

Second day with some of the corals and moderate sun:
newnanowithcorals.jpg

Couple of Pictures of corals saying, "WHAT IS THAT". Me telling them REAL SUNLIGHT!!

newnano010.jpg

newnano009.jpg

newnano008.jpg

And a day later the corals are saying, "I LOVE IT GIVE ME MORE"

blastosinnaturalsun.jpg

pangadocupcloseup.jpg

The tank flucuants from 78 at night to about 80 during the day. Of course this is just the start of Spring. We will see what it looks like in the Full Summer.

I modded the tank quite a bit:
1.) rumble live rock in the overflow chamber
2.) second chamber two sponges with a carbon bag inbetween them
3.) HOB CPR BakPak skimmer. Had it hanging around in the garage. I put it on a timer to run about 3 hours a day.
4.) the return pump was a 220gph. I bought it used and it already had a Maxijet 1200 from previous owner.
5.) I am taking the top complete off of course for the Natural Sunlight. I bought a new Current Sundial T5 fixture, but don't think I will be using it.
6.) I am modding my ATO system to fit into the Stock JBJ stand and run the plumbing up the back and into the return pump area.
7.) I have an old quad fan setup that I used on an old nano. I am looking at connecting it to a Thermostat in the water to turn on when too hot.

Pic of the Auto Top Off in progress.
ATOinstand.jpg

Here's the light that I don't need. But it is cool with built in timers and Moonlight LED's.
NewCurrentSundiallight.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this for me... :)

I think Natural light is an interesting concept that should not be overlooked... I've always thought a Green House would be the way to go, but it is not always necessary... I know Matt has a greenhouse and he successfully keeps softies and anenomes in there...

Its a good way to keep your energy costs down... The first time I saw a "Sun Powered Tank" was in this thread

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...rpage=25&highlight=vitor pestana&pagenumber=1

Its a good read for you guys, and it helps to think outside the box on how to make your tanks more efficient/affordable...

There are also Solar Tubes and other viable options to natural light... Just throwing it out there for you guys... lol :D

that is a cool setup. I read that thread a little while ago and that is where I have gotten a lot of my inspiration.

Today I noticed a little algea on the glass for the first time. But no more than was on my 90 gallon with the T5's. Nothing that a magnet scraper didn't handle in about 10 minutes.

I just want to say that is pretty cool that you are using natural sunlight.
I had a NSFOWLR going in my kitchen until it cracked while on vacation. It would shimmer pretty well during the afternoon and look like a MH on it.
My 95 gets morning sun too and I think that it helps the tank.

Keep posting please.

Update:

Been 8 days today....
The corals are looking great. The Orange Monti Cap has grown about 2 centimeters in the week. The new growth is very bright Orange. Different than the original piece.

Green polyp leather is expanding larger every day. I would say it was just smaller than a silver dollar before. Now it is a little bigger than the dollar.

All the zoanthids are fuller and more colorful than ever. I have a small frag of a bright nuclear looking greens. It had 4 polyps last week. Today it has five polyps and four more baby ones coming out. Tremendous growth.

The Blasto colony is fuller and bigger than it ever has been and I see a couple of new babies on the sides.

So far nothing but postive. There has been a little algea on the glass, but no more than I ever had on my other tanks.

Back