Pretty Woman
Hot For Teacher
Unchained
Eruption
Jamie's Cryin'
Everybody Wants Some
Ice Cream Man
...and a killer finale of Jump.

I'm sure I missed a couple songs they played.

They kicked off about 8:15 pm, after a short set by a band called Ryan Shaw. Kind of a Living Color type band, but not as rockin'. Bass player could stand to lose about 80 pounds too. ;) Lead vocalist Shaw had a real good voice with allot of range. Not bad stuff, just not what I wanted to hear before Van Halen. ;) VH played to a little after 10:15 pm. Nice 2 hour show.

Dave's vocals were very strong. He was as enthusiastic as ever. It was so appropriate when, at the biggining of Hot For Teacher, he belted out the lyrics "I heard ya missed us.....We're Back!" Crowd went nuts. Yep, Its definitely good to hear you're back. Some of the high stuff seemed to be on the edge of distortion, but I think that was a sound board issue, not a vocal one. For Dave's age (pushing 50), heck, for any age, Dave was pretty ripped. Even had a 6-pack going. His daily karate routine and workout must still be a big part of his life. I saw several kicks head high last night also. Man is in stellar general shape. I definitely need to get the dust off the weight set. He did a staff twirling routine that was pretty sweet too. Definitely karate influenced. His flambouyant upscale circus ringmaster type dress was DLR all the way. Signature David Lee Roth.

Eddie's guitar playing was still stellar, even though not as crisp as in days past. I'm sure his health issues have slowed him down just a bit. Best part for me about Eddie was that he was SMILING the whole time and actually seemed to be enjoying himself. That was great to see after all the stuff that has circulated about his personal and health issues for the last 5 years or so. Dont get me wrong, his playing was still head and shoulders above most lead guitarists on the planet. You could just hear a missed note now and again in some of the fast stuff that you recognized. A great performance none the less.

I had forgotten what a great drummer Alex Van Halen is. Drum solo was killer. His playing was very powerful with the VH signature sound. He was on top of his game all night.

Wolfgang on bass? Ya, why not. He did a good job. Still getting comfortable touring, but seemed to be coming out of it. He actually interacted with Dave vocally in a few places in the show. He still has to step up his game allot to be a good representation of one of the best live rock bands around, but he is only 17, I think. He's got 3 great teachers around him every night. He'll do fine. I did miss Michael Anthony's harmonies a little. Eddie and Wolfgang are close though.

One thing I was expecting was a more elaborate show. A big screen in the back, an occasional small laser show, the normal colored lighting effects, strobes and spots, some cylindrical chaser light sections (which were pretty cool, but not THAT cool), and a big red flag waved by Dave a couple times seem underclassing the band. Especially with the high cost of good seats (we were 12 rows off the floor, 2 sections out to the left of the stage. Really nice seats. But there were even better VIP seats selling for $600 a pair), and the fact that they didn't have a ton in paying the warm-up band. I grew up on the elaborate 80's rock shows, and the 8-12 semi trailors VH used to bring to a gig, and expected another one of those for what was being charged for tickets. Call me crazy. The finale was pretty cool. All the light effects, combined with a disco ball hit hard with spots spraying its effect all through the venue and literally tons of silver and blue glitter strips sprayed into the air were signature Van Halen.

All in all, a stellar performance by everyone, a cool song selection, good LOUD sound mixing for the most part, and an above average light and effects show. Definitely glad I went. Dave, Eddie and Alex ........its good to see ya back. Wolfgang......welcome. :) I'm sure I speak for allot of fans when I say I cant wait for some new, good, old school style, signature VH rock`n`roll from Van Halen in the near future.

Zeppelin

Eddy VanHalen and Joe Satriani are the two reasons I still play a dual mono bloc Marshall amp/preamp setup with at 6 through one of my guitars with earplugs in and thumping chords and arpeggios with finger taps and dive bombs or artificial harmonics that chase away members of the rodent family within sonic distance of my house.

"Everybody wants some..."

Glad you had a good time, sounds like the show was AWESOME!!!
Great playset way to start the show, and end.
Sounds like old Diamond Dave, Eddie and the rest of the boys still have it!!!
Now you got me stoked about Rock on the Range! it's less than 2 weeks away :smokin:

I went to the show too. It was pretty darn good. I do miss Michael Anthony's background vocals. He has a unique voice.

I did enjoy some of Dave's comments...like "van halen...three parts original, one part inevitable." Dave is a nut and was in true diamond-dave mode.

Back