Venustus Angelfish

Mina_40

Does anyone have any experience with this fish?

I saw it on Blue Zoo Aquatics' site. Shows reef compatible...with caution, care level...expert only.

I realize it would be a challenging fish. I am wondering if anyone has one, and if so, how long have you had it, and how has it gone?

No, I am planning a stocklist for my 93 cube I'm getting. It was one that was different from the usual. Did a search on here, and it seems that people who have them got them from reefhotspot, asked for ones that were eating already and seemed to prefer younger, smaller ones to start with. I will keep researching this fish.

I haven't owned one but Caribfan (Matt) has 3 of them. Has had them for over a year probably closer to 2 years. They went through 30 days of cupramine and ate well for him. Getting them from a source that has a short supply chain will help a lot.

I've had a couple in the past. One did well for a year or so. Their main issue is they are finicky eaters. They can be a lil reclusive, albeit not like the golden dwarf, but they will hang out upside often in caves and overhangs. They can be really skiddish at first, so a fast, aggressive tank often times does them in.

I have had 3 over the years....

The first one came from Diver's Den. I had it for about 3 years. Started eating prepared foods the minute it was released into the main tank. At the time it was in my 58 (( 3 footer )) with a Coral Beauty and Multi-Colored angels. Was a bit shy but, did well. About 1.5 years after that I moved, and put it into a 40 breeder with a pair of clowns. Was doing great until I forgot to be the top back on after a water change...

vent2.jpg

two.jpg

I didn't actually know it had jumped until 5 months after it went missing when I took down the tank and found it behind the tank.

a15b4246-67bc-45c6-91b9-cc50a8ca0989_zps2599f92d.jpg

The next 2 came in as a pair ( Diver's Den ). The larger the of the 2 never ate, even ignoring the well seasoned live rock I put in the QT. Whereas the smaller of the 2 started eating pellets right away. It eventually went into my 210 with a yellow tang, pair of clowns and a flameback angel. Made the move to the new tank swimmingly. ;)

DSC_0366_zps815f2186.jpg

It is currently in one half of a 75 with the flameback and clowns. (( the other half has a flame and coral beauty )). This tank is set up at my mother in laws while we finalize our move into the new place. Not 100% sure which tank it will end up in when I am ready to move the tanks. Through all the moves it hasn't skipped a beat.

Moving day from old place into the mother in laws;

IMG_1169_zpszpfgudwr.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Nice fish toddrtrex. Thanks for your experience with them. I am still on the fence, but definitely gives me information.

Have a great day!

The first one came from Diver's Den. I had it for about 3 years. Started eating prepared foods the minute it was released into the main tank. At the time it was in my 58 (( 3 footer )) with a Coral Beauty and Multi-Colored angels. Was a bit shy but, did well. About 1.5 years after that I moved, and put it into a 40 breeder with a pair of clowns. Was doing great until I forgot to be the top back on after a water change...

vent2.jpg

two.jpg

I didn't actually know it had jumped until 5 months after it went missing when I took down the tank and found it behind the tank.

The next 2 came in as a pair ( Diver's Den ). The larger the of the 2 never ate, even ignoring the well seasoned live rock I put in the QT. Whereas the smaller of the 2 started eating pellets right away. It eventually went into my 210 with a yellow tang, pair of clowns and a flameback angel. Made the move to the new tank swimmingly. ;)

DSC_0366_zps815f2186.jpg

It is currently in one half of a 75 with the flameback and clowns. (( the other half has a flame and coral beauty )). This tank is set up at my mother in laws while we finalize our move into the new place. Not 100% sure which tank it will end up in when I am ready to move the tanks. Through all the moves it hasn't skipped a beat.

IMG_1169_zpszpfgudwr.jpg

Damn that's a crispy fish.

vent2.jpg

two.jpg

DSC_0366_zps815f2186.jpg

IMG_1169_zpszpfgudwr.jpg

I thought I was the only one with a Acclimate:rollface:

Hey Mina, I got your PM and figured I'd reply to this thread so others could benefit from my experience.

I currently have two Venustus, I lost the third some time ago and I'm not completely sure why. I never found the fish and never witnessed any aggression from the other two; I suspect it jumped.

I sourced these from a local guy that I've known for a long time. He was able to speak to the wholesaler prior to shipping and was told they were in good condition.

All three fish were quarantined in a 50 gallon breeder, which is my standard quarantine set up and no live rock was provided. As Derek mentioned, all my fish go through a 30 day cupramine regimen, as was the case with these fish. They also received two treatments of prazi.

I think the key to this species success is getting a fish that's eating well. I pretty much feed Larry's Reef Services foods, PE Mysis and Frozen little neck clams and nothing else.

I went back and checked my thread, I've had these guys since September of 2014. You can see them here.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2444122&highlight=butterflytown

Here are a couple pics from when they were first added.

Added one with my first regal when she was just a little girl.

More recent, better quality photo.

One last thing, If you plan to get these fish and don't have a great source locally, I'd recommend Divers Den. No experience with bluezoo, but I've had good experience with the Divers Den livestock.

Thanks for replying caribman. Your fish are beautiful. I was leaning towards not attempting this fish, but am now thinking more about trying it.

Will keep an eye on Divers Den for one.

Have a good day!

Less experience with these than some others. Have had two, one that did well in a low aggression FOWLR for about a year before I sold off the tank, and a second that did well in QT, but was really twitchy, and upon introduction to my display went behind the rocks never to be seen again.

Thanks for replying caribman. Your fish are beautiful. I was leaning towards not attempting this fish, but am now thinking more about trying it.

Will keep an eye on Divers Den for one.

Have a good day!

Where are you in Ohio? CLose to southwest?

Back