Very disappointed in my Jebao WP-40.

Scuba Dan

Bought mine during the group buy we had awhile back. I put the WP-40 in my tank about 3-4 months ago if that. Came home from work the other day to a dead WP-40. Replaced the controller and nothing.... :( Still looks new and to have to toss. Man that hurts.... I guess I'll save the impeller and toss the rest.

e12ae443-eb99-4936-9369-270a04308d83_zpsipe9ahi0.jpg

Try turning the impeller manually, while its on. In my experience it tends to get stuck and be unable to turn.

Pulled it apart, cleaned it and it did come on for a bit, but you have no control with the controller. It was just one speed. after awhile, it would just stop.

If you bought during Group Buy, contact ReefBreeders. Logan is usually a pretty straight shooter.

Its been over a year. This teaches me to buy things and not use them for awhile.... I tend to buy things for "future" tanks. ;)

I had two of them...they both broke. Total junk.
The prices on used Ecotech products is great right now....(IMO)

1 persons failure is just that. I have 2 year old rw's working fine. I had 1 out of 6 with bearing issues. I fixed that and it still works. Look up the bearing mod or whatever it is called.

I have had just as many, if not more failures with a higher end popular brand. The price point for the Jebaos makes it worthwhile to me. My application is different though because I run a service company. Quickly switching out a cheap part is more valuable to me, even if I have to self warranty it versus the hours I've lost on the phone with customer support trying to fix a higher end product. I understand your thoughts may be different as the consumer though.

I have had just as many, if not more failures with a higher end popular brand. The price point for the Jebaos makes it worthwhile to me. My application is different though because I run a service company. Quickly switching out a cheap part is more valuable to me, even if I have to self warranty it versus the hours I've lost on the phone with customer support trying to fix a higher end product. I understand your thoughts may be different as the consumer though.

Right. Nobody balks at the countless Ecotech failure threads. A Jebao goes down and everyone and their mother will tell you how they're cheap and you need to spend $500 On a loud pump that you can't control the direction of flow. :)

I was planning on doing the group but then read reviews and looked at YouTube and saw they have a lot of problems. Lose power after 6 months and usually die after a year so I went a different route. Hopefully they will take care of you since they are pretty new.

As mentioned above I have had plenty of problems with my Eccotech stuff. At one point I had 8 running. I was tired of replacing wet side for the cost of a cheep jeboe, I went and tried the Tunze line. Bough 4 or 5 and had 2 power supplies die. I had 2 old jeboes that were so I thought dead. Did some research and found a cheep repair for the jeboes. They are still working fine now for months after the repair. For the price I think they r still worth it just keep some extra jeboes laying around for parts or replacement

Why does it seem like water movement in the tank is still not solved hardware reliability wise? Some older model tunze pumps seem to have a great rep. Perhaps sea swirls are good? This is the one thing I still have not bought yet for my new tank.

Thanks for the info Roger. I have about 6 of these laying around. Soon as I read this I did the research you suggested and pulled one of mine apart. Sure as SH!T thats whats wrong.
In the past I have found that the Jeboes dont like to be soaked in vinegar or if you do you have to take it back apart and work the shaft and bearings/bushings. Time to start cutting up air tubing and fixing pumps.

i have both jebaos and ecotech mp-10 Mp-40 running right now and i have more issues with my mp-40 non the qd version then i have with the jebaos .
the only i dont like abouth jebaos is not a bad thing but they will spill water of my tank if i position to high . other then thath they good so far

I have ordered over 100 jebaos rw's and PP and 3 needed repairs which reef breeders address. Yes they do slow down if not cleaned and even stop working. I have 3 rw15 from same batch robthorn still running. Of those 3 2 bad controllers and 1 bad motor. I have been using Davidg mod for over a year and the reduced power issue does not happen. I have done it to all 6 of my running jebaos. Here is the link. Unlike others in David's thread I use drinking water nylon tubing (regular RO tubing will have smaller inner diameter.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2552560

Like Roger says have a few around as parts and you should be ok. I still have all the ones I got from my first 4 groups buys.

Aaron: I have to post and suggest my drinking water line fix as the air tubing is great but not sure its great at reducing vibration / noise. I hope to past a write up suggestion.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-Ch...Polyethylene-Tubing-901-03020W00251/202257563

Correction not Nylon. I meant Polyethylene.

Most of the RO line is a 1/4 Outer Diameter and 0.125 ID which does fit forcibly and tight on the shaft. The one from home depot is .0170 ID.

Last edited:
Back