Video of rare white color morph yellow tang shot in wild

skune

Premium Member
This new video features a rare white color morph of the iconic Yellow Tang from Hawaii shot on the reef. The video starts with a quick review of many different tangs found in Hawaii before revealing this wonder for all to see!

https://youtu.be/nwvyHYkYgG4

Very cool video. Unfortunately I’m sure that tang has been collected by now whether that be legally or illegally we will never no

Ghost tang

Ghost tang

Very cool video. Unfortunately I'm sure that tang has been collected by now whether that be legally or illegally we will never no

I wouldn't be so sure. This one was in a protected area, and was actually quite large, so he's been around for awhile. The aquarium collection industry in Hawaii is very stringently regulated and they only allow collection in certain approved areas. If he was collected, it would be illegal, and not an easy task in this area. I like to think he is still there and is hopefully contributing his DNA to more of these cool tangs.

Lol, eh....
They are more common than most rare fish and often revert to their normal coloration which is a enormous bummer for the person that dropped big bucks on it. Casper is now about 50% yellow.
The fish in this video is not new but known to many as
"Cheddar" and was first covered in March 2015.

Lol, eh....
They are more common than most rare fish and often revert to their normal coloration which is a enormous bummer for the person that dropped big bucks on it. Casper is now about 50% yellow.
The fish in this video is not new but known to many as
"Cheddar" and was first covered in March 2015.

Haha that would suck to spend a couple grand on a color morph tang and then it go back to yellow

Lol from experience I assume.

What was it exactly Ted?

Lol, not in my tank.
It has been documented that it happens with these fish and is amazing to me that people buy them knowing they could possibly revert. If they dont know, they need to pick up a book and read it or dig around the ole intranets. Going to LA/DD and reading their brief synopsis of a fish is not research.

This is from 10 years ago. Jan 8, 2006 on another forum.

"Hey so I was at my lfs last night and saw a quarantine tank full of almost totally white tangs.:tongue:. I just about fell over when I saw them. The did have a little yellow on the upper and lower fins and the line going horizontal on their body was tinted yellow, but they were clearly white. All of them looked healthy and so I chose the WHITEST one out of the bunch and bought him. cost me a pretty penny, $200. But I think you could pick the others up for about $150 + shipping, I'm not sure you'll have to ask. I'll post some pics, I took it with my camera phone, so the pictures suck. This isn't a pure white tang, but it's the whitest I've ever seen, and probably ever will see."

5f1e9e9e-53ba-4454-a1b5-2ea0e4ddf834_zpsyfj15xi0.jpg

Comment-Great snag on a nice fish, hopefully he will keep the white and not return back to yellow!
Comment-yes, keep us posted on the progression. I hope he'll stay white too. such awesome combo. :)
Comment- No, I didn't get it from WWC. Ha. but that one at WWC is totally white, unlike mine that has a little yellow.
Comment- I saw a white tang in my LFS on the other day too. It's not as white as that one posted, but it's pale white with no any yellow on it. The empolyee there told me it's a extremely stressed Scopus tang. I don't know how stressed that tang has been, and I was only there for 20 mins. Is that all possible for a Scopus tang to change its color like that?

people need to read more...sheesh, even a search in here yields some solid info but people dont do it.

I am not a tang guy. I dig the gem hybrid because it is so rare but and becaue Meneeka collected it. The pb hybrid was a gift. Other than that, no tangs allowed, esp not a yellow or white. However, find me a baby of this and I am all in.

3ee26eeb-47ea-42df-8afe-b481a7e68252_zps3drcwfra.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool video. Unfortunately I'm sure that tang has been collected by now whether that be legally or illegally we will never no

I saw this exact same tang while snorkeling today. Saw it out the corner of my eye and thought no way it can't be . Sure enough a white yellow tang. Taking the GoPro out tomorrow to see if I can find it again.

Back