Vodka method to fight diatoms?

DJasak

Hey guys, I've been fighting a diatom issue for a couple weeks now and I know the root of the issue is that fact that I use tap water rather than RO/DI water. I am currently trying to save the money needed to buy a rodi unit, but in the mean time, I have been doing a lot of reading on ways to successfully treat the issue. One of the methods I read was the vodka method, and based on what people have said it's a pretty successful way to go about things. The basic unit of measure I found was 1.2mL of vodka per 100 gallons of tank water. Well my issue is I only have a 30 gallon tank. So how do I go about reducing the math to suit my 30 gallon tank? I guess I'm having a brain fart, because normally I would be able to do the math no problem, but because it's a reef tank I'm being super cautious! I don't want to overdose and ruin everything I've put into it which brings to question, is this method even safe for inverts and corals?

Thanks for your help!

If your new to carbon dosing like myself, I'd start with vinegar dosing as it is a bit more forgiving if you start to dose too much.

Back