Vortech experts

iwishtofish

I'm considering adding an MP40 to my 75g tank. It's a peninsula, and already has two Koralia 4s at one end. The Vortech will go at the opposite (far end), where flow is a bit less due to the minimal reach of the K4s.

Will the MP40 create flow down below it (running maybe half-speed - I have sand) just from sucking in water, or is it more likely that its back-current would do that?

How far from the top of the glass does it have to be? Higher would be better aesthetically, of course.

And, is this pump going to move my sand (Seaflor Special Grade) around too much? I just took out a Koralia Magnum 7 because, no matter how I pointed it, I could not stop it from migrating my sand.

Finally, is it worth the cost over a Tunze, for example?

Much thanks!

The Mp40 is capable of generating a very impressive undertow - at least mine does.

You can mount it as high as you want, although it will suck in air if it's too high. The cage does have a couple of inches of solid plastic with no grate that's designed to be facing upwards if the pump is high or downwards if mounted low.

I've never owned a Tunze so I can't compare the two, but I don't regret purchase of the MP40 and feel it's worth the money spent.

Mp40s have such a broad flow, its not like k4s. It creates an undertow that sweeps the whole tank like behind the rocks the sand everywhere thats why there so great its not just a pump hooked up to a controller.

The Mp40 is capable of generating a very impressive undertow - at least mine does.

You can mount it as high as you want, although it will suck in air if it's too high. The cage does have a couple of inches of solid plastic with no grate that's designed to be facing upwards if the pump is high or downwards if mounted low.

I've never owned a Tunze so I can't compare the two, but I don't regret purchase of the MP40 and feel it's worth the money spent.

Thanks for the info about mounting, and the testemonial. :)

Mp40s have such a broad flow, its not like k4s. It creates an undertow that sweeps the whole tank like behind the rocks the sand everywhere thats why there so great its not just a pump hooked up to a controller.

In a small tank like mine, is it necessary to run it much slower to keep the sand from rolling with the undertow?

I have an Mp40w and an Mp10w in a 36" 65gal. The Mp40 sees a maximum of 75% power while the Mp10w is at 100% and I don't see any movement in my Seaflor sand bed.

def get it, get rid of one of the k4s and just use the mp40 then save money and get a mp10 and you wont need the k4. I always used them but once I was able to I moved up too the mp 40

I have an Mp40w and an Mp10w in a 36" 65gal. The Mp40 sees a maximum of 75% power while the Mp10w is at 100% and I don't see any movement in my Seaflor sand bed.

Sounds great - I take it the two pumps are at opposite ends. I expect I'd get pretty good random flow with the MP40 colliding with the flow of dual K4s.

def get it, get rid of one of the k4s and just use the mp40 then save money and get a mp10 and you wont need the k4. I always used them but once I was able to I moved up too the mp 40

Save money! Haha, I won't have any left to save! ;) But that plan sounds good. Would make the tank a lot cleaner!

I love mine I have 3 mp40 in my 90 because I had one in my red sea max and 2 mp10s lying around. I moved the mp10s in the red sea max and they are perfect. And put the extra 40 in the 90, Im only running any of the mp10 or 40 at half speed at max. I think they should last with this amount of use for a long time.

I just recently got a vortech mp40 on my 75 gallon so I can relate to your situation. IMO, I feel like everyone says get as many as you can, when these pumps are so great that you really only need one. I was a skeptic myself until I put one mp40 in my tank. The flow is terrific and I thought the spread of the flow in general would be in one direction, but it's quite the opposite. In your case, you shouldn't need the koralias, so your tank will look cleaner. And with one, it's always and easier investment.

One mp40 will be perfect and if you really want some more flow, then just make sure to hang on to one of those koralias. :)

I love mine I have 3 mp40 in my 90 because I had one in my red sea max and 2 mp10s lying around. I moved the mp10s in the red sea max and they are perfect. And put the extra 40 in the 90, Im only running any of the mp10 or 40 at half speed at max. I think they should last with this amount of use for a long time.

No shortage of flow, for sure! Thanks for that info.

I just recently got a vortech mp40 on my 75 gallon so I can relate to your situation. IMO, I feel like everyone says get as many as you can, when these pumps are so great that you really only need one. I was a skeptic myself until I put one mp40 in my tank. The flow is terrific and I thought the spread of the flow in general would be in one direction, but it's quite the opposite. In your case, you shouldn't need the koralias, so your tank will look cleaner. And with one, it's always and easier investment.

One mp40 will be perfect and if you really want some more flow, then just make sure to hang on to one of those koralias. :)

Wow, good to know - when I get a Vortech, I'll start with just one and see how it goes!

:thumbsup:

Yep, can never hurt to go slow. Good luck, and your corals will absolutely love the new water motion!

Back