Vortech Questions?

Kaiser Tang

Premium Member
I'm very interested in the Vortech pump. I have a 150 (48x24x30). Does the vortech produce a wide enough flow to put just one at each end?

I know that they will be comming out this summer with a controller, but for right now, can I hook them up to a wavermaker (Red Sea Wavemaster Pro) to get a back and forth wave effect.

Lastly, are the pumps that are currently for sale (Marine Depot) the upgraded versions?

Well I have one, like it but dont have a clue about the answer to your questions! I have mine on a 55 and I have to dial it way down or it would be way too much for that tank. I probably have it at about 40% of maximum. SPS sure love it in that tank.

2 of them would be good for your tank. No you can't use a red sea wavemaker because they don't respond to 100% on and 100% off.

Last edited:
Oh also, from what I gather, you need to get an upgraded driver to be able to run the controller but this will include a single controller (I'm not 100% on this). I think the upgrade is 50 for each pump. Check out the IceCap sponsor forum there is tons of into there.

I have one on each end of my 180 and they give me all the flow I need (although I don't have a SPS tank) and I don't have them cranked up too high, otherwise the sand blows around. So the answer is yes, you'll get enough flow for a 120. The recommendation is to not cycle the vortec more than 2 times per 30 minutes, so 15 minutes on/ 15 mintues off is fine. For more questions try posting in the Vendor forum for Icecap, there are a lot of threads there on the Vortecs.
FWIW- I love my 2 and wouldn't trade for anything else!

I've got one on my 150XH, 48x24x30H. It's cranked to max (3000 g.p.h), and my sand stays put. 2 vortech's at the same time would, IMO, be too much for my tank, unless you want to be able to create variable flow patterns by their interactions. I've already got 20x turnover. :)

Right now I get nice circular flow, out along the top and return flow along the bottom of my tank. My vortech is on one end, about 6 inches below the waterline, in the center of that end.

While doing DIY work for my 6055, I thought of ways to pulse the flow, just so happened another member posted some idea I was thinking so at least two of us were asking the same questions.

I don't have a VorTech but want to ask if any of you thought of the following:

By connecting two transformers (say 12V and 24V) in parallel then plug them into a standard wavemaker strip, one can adjust the alternating on/off intervals on the wavemaker, therefore send the pump alternating voltages, drive the pump to produce maybe 20% and 100% pulsing flow, and the pump runs continuously. A 12V transformer of course can be found in anyone's closet collecting dust, as long as the amp rating is good, it doesn't have to be 12V either, 19V is also very common. The other transformer will be the stock one set at max voltage (speed).

Anyone tried that?

i have 2 of them on my 120 gallon 48x24x24 an more 2 seio 2600

you can put 4 easy in your system.

I know I know you all have many VorTech pumps but I did not bump this thread up to ask how many pumps can you afford.

Won't work, unless you use relay and know the pump voltage/amps.

2 transformer in paralele of diff. voltage will go really bad.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9898892#post9898892 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jacmyoung
While doing DIY work for my 6055, I thought of ways to pulse the flow, just so happened another member posted some idea I was thinking so at least two of us were asking the same questions.

I don't have a VorTech but want to ask if any of you thought of the following:

By connecting two transformers (say 12V and 24V) in parallel then plug them into a standard wavemaker strip, one can adjust the alternating on/off intervals on the wavemaker, therefore send the pump alternating voltages, drive the pump to produce maybe 20% and 100% pulsing flow, and the pump runs continuously. A 12V transformer of course can be found in anyone's closet collecting dust, as long as the amp rating is good, it doesn't have to be 12V either, 19V is also very common. The other transformer will be the stock one set at max voltage (speed).

Anyone tried that?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9899778#post9899778 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jacmyoung
I know I know you all have many VorTech pumps but I did not bump this thread up to ask how many pumps can you afford.

you right those pump expensive and i am waiting more time till the polario pump will be available i believe they will be cheap then the vortec but the flow will be stronger , i want to change one polario instead of the 2 seio 2600 , save heat and watt use .

you can see here in europe they rate low price then the vortec hope it will be here the same :

http://www.firststopaquatics.co.uk/acatalog/Seio_Polario.html

Back