Vortech too loud. What are my options?

I got my 6105 and multicontroller yesterday and set it up. Holy smokes! You cant even tell it's there. I was expecting some noise and unless I put my head next to the tank and listen for it I wouldnt know it was running.

My wife is much happier. her response "why isnt everyting in the tank this brand?"

now if only I knew what half of the settings on the multicontroller do I might feel like a reefer.

BRS was out of 6105's so I'll have to wait to get the second one.

I got my 6105 and multicontroller yesterday and set it up. Holy smokes! You cant even tell it's there. I was expecting some noise and unless I put my head next to the tank and listen for it I wouldnt know it was running.

My wife is much happier. her response "why isnt everyting in the tank this brand?"

now if only I knew what half of the settings on the multicontroller do I might feel like a reefer.

BRS was out of 6105's so I'll have to wait to get the second one.

As silent as they are now, they will get quieter over a couple weeks as they break in :D. Did you or are you going with the larger covers at all?

Which controller do you have, the 7095? Its actually pretty straight forward, most of the knobs are just timers. There is an instruction manual on tunze.com

Did you contact EcoTech?

I won't comment on the Ecotech vs. Tunze battle, because (1) Ive never owned a Tunze AND (2) I honestly dont know much about either.

However, I do own 2 MP40W-ES, both purchased from MarineDepot at separate times and both are very quiet. My 220 is an in-wall and I cannot hear it from the outside display area. I even had it on a 100 gallon in my office and it was not loud. At full blast it was no louder than a computer fan.

I wonder why there is such a discrepancy between these units? Appearance in my reef tank is my #1 priority, and Ecotech wins hands down.

I think it is a combination of variations in the motor noise and also peoples tolerances of noise. Also, Vortechs are almost never run at a constant speed, so any noise is always varying. At least for myself, that prevents it from fading into background noise.

Back