Want to ADD T5s. ...Options???

maroonman

I've been down the MH road, And now for the past 4 yrs the LED road,
I like the leds , But my Growth on ( some ) corals is just ,,,so so.And I'd like to see if this will help. I'd like to add 4- T5 bulbs .. 2 - 72" bulbs on the front side & 2 - 72" bulbs.
What are my DIY options? not wanting to spend alot since this is basicly a trial & error thing for me. WHat bulbs do you run for best growth .

Run 4 bulbs with LEDs. 3 d120s and 4 36" t5s. T5s come on from 10am - 2pm and I have definitely noticed an increase in growth and color. I'm running 2 coral plus and 2 blue plus, love this combo. But I've heard blue plus and actinic will be your best bet par was for growth

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I got 2 photon 48's for the 8 footer but right now on the 90 some thing's grow great while others just survive. I think the LEDs just don't blend enough spectrum and that's why some areas do well and others don't.

+1 on d120 and t5. I am going install 6 t5 and keep my d120. I get good growth on my d120 but shooting for coloration

I run led with actinic t5's. Actinic spectrum is very important for photosynthesis, and I don't think leds put out enough in that range. UVL superactinic would be best imo. And maybe a good full spectrum bulb if you're going with two different types.

You can try premium aquatics, and aquarium specialty, or the classifieds. A new 4x80w Retro kit would likely be 250-300, much cheaper used.

The problem isn't the led bulbs themselves, it's that you need a lot of them to get a good blended coverage. That is why I suspect that some areas of the tank grow great and others are slower.

Let me see if I can find the DIY led thread a guy did to create his LEDs to match that of metal halides.

I agree the pure actinic is targeted towards max photosynthesis. I just couldn't deal with that color range. Not to mention every time I go look for bulbs that color is gone or I would try it for a little bit. But so far the coral plus and blue plus are doing awesome

On my 120 I run Photon48 with a T5 in front and back of the P48. I use Coral Plus and one Aquablue Special.

On my 300, same exact set up but just x2.

I ended up using Sunblaster nanotech T5 strips (linkable and excellent reflector).

mike

I just recently got a photon 48 myself and will be switching from 6 bulb T5 to 1 or 2 bulbs on each side of the photon.

The problem isn't the led bulbs themselves, it's that you need a lot of them to get a good blended coverage. That is why I suspect that some areas of the tank grow great and others are slower.

Let me see if I can find the DIY led thread a guy did to create his LEDs to match that of metal halides.

Semi-Led violets only put out 500 lumens at their max current of 700mA, whereas cree XM-L2 cool whites put out around 1460 lumens at their max current of 3 A, so they are definitely weaker. But you are right about blending and coverage, you need a lot of any color to get good coverage.

I just bought the Sunblaster T5 nanotech from Amazon as well. I needed it to supplement my QT that houses a clam.

Mike...have you experimented with adding a different color bulb at a different wattage to that fixture. I am curious because I just linked together a second Sunblaster and figured I would add an actinic bulb. This fixture will then be moved upstairs to my DT as a supplement to my 2 Kessil 360we LED.

I just bought the Sunblaster T5 nanotech from Amazon as well. I needed it to supplement my QT that houses a clam.

Mike...have you experimented with adding a different color bulb at a different wattage to that fixture. I am curious because I just linked together a second Sunblaster and figured I would add an actinic bulb. This fixture will then be moved upstairs to my DT as a supplement to my 2 Kessil 360we LED.

I have played with several ATI bulbs (Aquablue Special, Coral Plus, Blue Plus, and Actinic). I have settled on one Aquablue Special and one Coral Plus.

Would it be possible to add 2 t5's to my 2 16"reefbreeders even though I don't have a hood, they just hang from the ceiling.

Add some sheet aluminum strips as cross bars that attach to the top of the RB's and overhang the sides so you can hang the T5 fixtures.

Back