Want to ask you Zeoheads some questions

DrewBrees713

In Memoriam
There are just too many products offered by Zeo and it gets dizzying pretty quick. Can I add Zeobak or any other Zeo products without using Zeolite or reactor?

Yes. Zeobak can be used without the reactor. Quite a few can actually.

I dose the nano pack which is spongepower, amino acids LPS, pohls and pohls extra IIRC. I also add zeobak once in a while.

Sponge power and amino acids LPS are my two favorite. My LPS open up to feed when I dose the AA.

Drew, I advice you to read about the followings, to familiarize yourself with what Zeovit is, what it does and so on first.

then and only then you can use it in your system, and have control.

first, Vodka Dosing or basically dosing organic carbon, click on the link for the article.

then, great article Here

Zeovit .... there are 2 parts ... one is lowering/controlling nutrients, second is coral foods and coral color enhancers.
organic carbon dosing is .... bacteria take up Nitrates, Phosphates, and Carbon to grow and reproduce. in our tanks, Carbon is limited, so dosing Organic carbon like vodka, sugar, vinegar, would allow bacteria to grow ... and therefore take up N and P from water column.
in Zeovit system ... the organic carbon is called Zeostart3. its a mix, and much better and much more potent than vodka or anything else. the Bacteria that you want to feed and reproduce, is Zeobak, which is mix of multiple Strains.

Zeo sponge power .... enhances growth of sponges, which in turn polish water, and their waste becomes coral food. here is the Article

Zeoliths ... are the stones that provide a place for bacteria to grow. they have an ammonia rich surface when placed in reef tanks, and are great place to grow bacteria, Here

dosing bacteria alone, will not allow them to reproduce ... it will just become coral food. you need to use Zeobak with Zeostart3. SP is a must IMHO as well, the article should tell u why.

the rest, are to make corals color up ... like coral vitelizer [coral food] and Xtra[Amino acids and Trace elements] and you dont have to use those, u can just feed your fish more if you feel like your corals are pale or loosing color. [although, IMHO, the zeo additives work better than feeding more]

let me know if you have any more questions.

Great, Allmost!!! More articles to confuse me even more. THanks alot buddy ;0)

Kidding aside. Can I use Seachem Matrix instead of Zeolith? Does ether one has to be use in conjunction with a reactor?

I'm somewhat familiar with carbon dosing. Used sugar sometime ago to dose my tank which yield great water clarity.

Great, Allmost!!! More articles to confuse me even more. THanks alot buddy ;0)

Kidding aside. Can I use Seachem Matrix instead of Zeolith? Does ether one has to be use in conjunction with a reactor?

I'm somewhat familiar with carbon dosing. Used sugar sometime ago to dose my tank which yield great water clarity.

It's recommend that you use Seachem Matrix GFO with the zeolite. You can place the bag of Matrix in the reactor on top of the Zeolite if you have the room. The Zeolite reactor also allows you to pump it 10-20 times a day which helps reduce the channeling-effect and allows a more even distribution of flow through all slots of the perforated plate in the reactor.

Good luck,

Haha.

Sachem makes matrix, which is place for bacteria to grow. And then matrix GAC which is GAC .., lol

Matrix is just more live rock basically. And if u have enough then I wouldn't bother with it. If u have little LR and no sand, then maybe ...

Matrix GAC is great with zeovit IMHO. Not too potent like the ROX.

If u use zeobak and zeostart and no stones(zeolith) the systems ability to remove po4 reduces ... In that case u might need to run GFO ... But only down the road if po4 is a problem. I can not tell u why use of zeoliths helps process po4 better ... Perhaps the aluminum ? No idea ... But it does. The composition is linked above. Maybe a chemist can figure it out :).

How do you process nutrients now ?

Right now I got a skimmer rated for a 400G on my 90. Tons of chaeto. NOt a whole lot of LR though I like the minimalist look. Got a bag of Matrix + Purigen in a micron sock.

Back