warm/hot RO/DI water

The "junk" in the water heater is mostly rust. Water heaters have a sacraficial anode in them that rusts continuously.

A "mixing valve" and a "TEE" are not the same thing :) One allows back flow, the other does not.

that's why i got the mixing valve ;)
i agree that you should not just T off and call it good at least put in check valve so you don't get any feed back
and a bit of rust is better than my water un filtered:D

I guess you could calculate the cost to heat the water vs the cost to pour it down the drain... I just don't see how heating it saves any money :)

I use most of my waste water in the washing machine anyway... in the winter I do have to dump some down the drain due to the extra waste output.

Membranes are made to operate best at 77 degrees temps over 98 degrees will destroy the membrane if only exposed for a short time.

Fahz

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6992475#post6992475 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
I guess you could calculate the cost to heat the water vs the cost to pour it down the drain... I just don't see how heating it saves any money :)
I use most of my waste water in the washing machine anyway... in the winter I do have to dump some down the drain due to the extra waste output.

Do you just set your waste water line into the washing machine and wait for it to fill up to the regular level then run a wash cycle?
my main concern isnt saving "energy" per-say, its saving the water by cutting down on the waste. my dad's going nuts watching all this water go right back into the ground and im just looking for ways to compromise.

Here is how I do it: I plumbed my RO/DI through my washer/dryer (just the washer, not the dryer) hook-up. I run the lines through a thing called a Thermostatic Mixing Valve. Below is a picture of the TMV; I purchased it at Grainger Industrial Supply quite a few years ago. I use to live in nothern Indiana where water temps got real cold in the winter. My cold water temp was reading right about 50F. Both the manufacturer of my RO/DI system (ARS = Aquatic Reef Systems) and the manufacturer of my membranes (Spectrapure) recommend that your feed water be 77F. So that is what I do. Hot goes in, cold goes in, and I lock down the specific temp, (or close to it). Waste water goes down the drain.

7762Thermostatic_Mixing_Valve.jpg

dragon,

Yes I just let it drain into the tub, and do a wash cycle when I have enough. My Top-off container is 5 gallons and my laundry tub holds around 25 gallons.... so it does not overflow if I fall asleep. In the near future I will have a 3 way float system setup that will fill the tub (using the washers internal float switch or a hang over the rim DIY switch) and also fill a 20 gallon "plant watering container" if oth of those are full (or disabled) the waste will go to the laundry sink. This will allow me to run the top-off in auto mode (like it was designed) and not worry about flopping hoses around.

Let's not forget that hot water will cause the activated carbon to release everything that it has sorbed. NOT a good thing to happen at all.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7004000#post7004000 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dragonyze
Do you just set your waste water line into the washing machine and wait for it to fill up to the regular level then run a wash cycle?
my main concern isnt saving "energy" per-say, its saving the water by cutting down on the waste. my dad's going nuts watching all this water go right back into the ground and im just looking for ways to compromise.

You don't have to wait for it to fill up. You can just start a load anytime with however much waste water is in the machine. The machine knows how much water to add for a given cycle, even is there is already water present (as described by Bean.....the washer has internal float switches). That's how they know to only add so much water when you "jam-pack" the washer with clothes, compared to only putting in a couple shirts (when running on the same load settings - i.e. "large"). Washing clothes with hard water isn't good though.

eee

I have been doing our laundry with the waste water for about a year now... and have seen no ill effects. Heck my waste water is better than some peoples tap water :)

Back