water flow and clams

phish guy

this is my first clam.

on monday i picked up what i believe to be a Maxima. he looks good and all and has already attached himself to the rocks.

so the real question is what is to much flow for a clam. mine is in the bottom just off center from the HQI. my koralia #3 smashes into the glass comes down over the sand and sweeps past the clam. it has good mantle expansion and all, but the mantle moves around a little in the flow. this ok? doesnt seem to be bothering it. should i put some rock rubble in front of it to disperse the flow?

thanks.

o and for those who wish to know. . .

pH - 8.2
alk - 3 meq/l
calc - 450ppm
SG - 31ppt or 1.023
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - >5ppm (is that less than?its been awhile since school)

clams can handle some flow, as long as the mantle isn't flapping in the breeze it should be fine.

if you post a photo i can id it for you

the mantle is flapping i'd say, just kinda moving a little. a "flap" we'll say, once in while.

the byssal opening did not seem as big as the crocea in th ID pics i used. def not a gigas, squamosa or dersa. should have a photo in the next day or so. cameras batteries are on the charger.

100_1791.jpg

100_1792.jpg

100_1793.jpg

it actually is. thers rock under it. but you think i should move him up more?

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12589520#post12589520 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phish guy
it actually is. thers rock under it. but you think i should move him up more?

i have actually been pretty bad with my clams as i have had them where the flow has been flapping the big maxima (6 inches) and have had a huge rbta creep up next to him and irritate him and the others for months and months.

thus, do as i say and not as i do! :D

all my clams love a lot of light. 3 maxima's and 2 croceas. they are placed about 6 inches from the water surface and the 250w halide is about 5 inches from the water surface. a little gutsy on my part. i would recommend those new to clams to not risk it and have them a little further from the light. btw: the bulbs are over two years old and everything in this tank (my 110g mixed reef) is doing awesome with growth and color. in fact, it is much much much less work than my 180g sps.

i dont dose anything in the 110g except some turbo calcium every two weeks or so along with a little seachem reef buffer.

no ca reactor, no alk reactor, no phos reactor, no nothing but a skimmer and carbon i change once every two months

i use my old water from the 180g for water changes into the 110g.

oh yeah...

suggestions...

'if' you can move him up to more light and not have a ton of flow on him...he should love it...but!!! he already looks pretty happy where he is. thus, 'i' would leave him where he is until he starts to show any signs of distress.

how's that for making a short story long? :D

Back