Ways to improve filtration?

fish clown

Well I have recently bought a 20 gallon zero edge hex so I'll be new to nano but not reef, I've had a 75 for over a year now. My set up is a ten gal sump with a tunze 9002 skimmer, ato, and a reef breeders value series light ( way over kill, lol). The tank will be anemones only so no coral and a pair of clowns with a couple small gobys. In the sump there are two equal sections. The first has water coming out of three 1" drains and the second I have my skimmer and pump. What are ways to maybe improve this like maybe live rock in the drain section or something. I'm not looking for any of crazy set up with reactors just a simple effective system. I think I'll be placing an order on marine depot Monday for some ultra flex pvc and a bulkhead. I tried plumbing it and well let's just say I could never be a plumber as a job, lol. I cracked one bulkhead and so once that's on it will be running. The tank itself has has dry sand in it with dry rock. I can seed it from my 75 though.

With anemones, you are pretty good with what you have, but you could always incorporate a bio plastics reactor if NO3 is too high, any variety of PO4 reactors or a sock holder under the outlet of your overflow. There are a ton of options for a sump that size. Probably best to wait and see what you need, after the system is up and running.

Well the bulkhead arrived a little sooner than expected(amazon) and I ended up with regular PVC and its been running with no leaks. Dosnt help to have a stand that your shoulder cans fit through, lol. I looked I to the bio plasics reactor. Interesting concept and if no3 becomes too high I'll be sure to look at it in better detail. I used some water from my 75 and seeded the sand and there is already a little pod life. Levels have been dropping also so I would expect to have it ready fairly soon.

Back