Weaning Leaf Fish onto Frozen

Fishfreak218

Ok, well first off i got a Leaf Fish last night and some Ghost Shrimp.. i put the ghost shrimp in a seperate 5g. and the Leaf fish is in a temporary home... so anyway.. he eats Ghost shrimp real well.. but i know that that is a bad diet (is it better or worse then feeder goldfish???) ok so anyway...first off what is the best food to use to wean them onto forzen??? also how should i go about doing so??? and how long will Ghost Shrimp , which i feed SW foods such as Mysis and formula 1 before i feed them to the Leaf fish, suffice as a food source, not long right???? also im guessing Damsels are a better food choice?? got an opinion is there any other Live food source besides Damsels, Ghost Shrimp, and Feeder Guppies/platys/mollies????? thanks in advance
-josh

actually gut packed ghost shrimp can be the food for the rest of his life, however, its more difficult on you ensuring he has plenty of ghost shrimp.
Thats said, these fish are tough to wean over, but they will. I used PE frozen mysis as my food of choice and be tough -- a hungry fish will take more chances on food than a fed fish

FW feeders is like fish version of fatty take away

ghost shrimp are like bread good for you but need something else to be a staple diet.

Im not a fan of silversides... for any fish

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6916388#post6916388 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Patchy
FW feeders is like fish version of fatty take away

ghost shrimp are like bread good for you but need something else to be a staple diet.

Im not a fan of silversides... for any fish

I like those analogies.

can you explain why you don't like silversides? I thought they were reallly good feeders?

thats what i thought about the Silversides.. so what else can i feed him if he decides NOT to take to Frozen food.... im not really concerned on the $$$ for this b.c. i am 14 and have an income of $45 a week.. (and i dont have a job yet)...i dont use any of that money for anything since my parents get me my food, clothes, and most of my fishtank stuff...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6917838#post6917838 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fishfreak218
thats what i thought about the Silversides.. so what else can i feed him if he decides NOT to take to Frozen food.... im not really concerned on the $$$ for this b.c. i am 14 and have an income of $45 a week.. (and i dont have a job yet)...i dont use any of that money for anything since my parents get me my food, clothes, and most of my fishtank stuff...

well I'm sure you just want to give your fish the best diet possible.

frozen is good because you can buy different foods, but then again, if you get some damsels or some other small reef fishes, they might be good food.

ya.. i talked to someone who keeps them and she said that hers didnt take to frozen... so im going to be feeding gut loaded Ghost Shrimp, and Damsels.... thats the best i can do if he decides not to eat frozen.. i just hope he does start frozen food....

I know you just got yours pretty recently too. It takes a long time for anyone's to really start eating frozen. Months even.

So no worries, keep trying. They will eat it eventually.

goodluck

here is a pic of him:
qyu8tt.jpg

i've seen the picture. you've posted it in quite a few places =) It's really nice!

also check on the grimreefers website for info too.

oh.. good idea^^^ (i was posting it to show someone.. they couldnt see my pic on N-r.com so since they are a member here i posted it for them to see)....

I had the exact same fish & weaned him fine. He's more difficult than your average lion, but it can be done. be very patient, choose silversides or krill that are size appropriate, use a transparent feeding rod & make the presentation convincing. You simply can't just stick it under his nose & expect results, make the food move like prey; krill crawling on rocks or silverside wriggling around. If he's interested he'll reposition himself as you move it around. If he doesn't, simply try again later, just be consistant. These are incredibly observant fish & it did not take very long for mine to get the idea. Once weaned I didn't have to put on much of a show at all & he would cross the tank to find me whenever I drew near looking for a handout if he was hungry.
Try and get him a buddy, they do well in pairs or small groups.
Good luck.

Back