Welcome to our new club.

Been there done that.

Been there done that.

So, there I was searching for a depot of new critters of the sea and then I saw it. A tiny little shop that was the result of one man's overgrown hobby, Sea Critters Depot. Was this a wish come true? A miracle while on a quest for new things? Or just a mirage? The strange thing was that it was nearly the only coral shop around. They happen to be closed but since they were doing maintenance anyway I was allowed to browse the shop. Even through this shop is very small it took me 30 minutes to see everything and I still think I missed seeing everything. I could have stayed hours but I was in the area to go to the airport so...

What I could have done better was plan on buying corals that day. I have not been back since and I want to go again with a roll of twenties. The prices were very reasonable and if the inventory turnover is not very rapid there are some great colors and species to choose from. I was impressed that a large LPS was only about $40-$50 if I remember it right.

Benefits for shopping in this small shop. For one they know how long they have had a coral in the shop. They have been caring for those type of coral for a period of time and can tell you exactly what has been working for them.

I am a fan. I think it is a great concept that is often poorly executed. An example of poor execution is how the local shops in my area either do not invest in the proper care of corals (because they die in the shop) or the shop owner does not see the benefit of propagating their own corals, likely do to the first issue. Keep in mind that the two shops in my area have been in business for 10-15 years each. This is more than enough time to have propagated coral for the frag market.

If you head down to north mytle beach, Sc. There is a small store called sea critters depot. He has a awesome selection of corals etc. You just need to make sure he's open, they are only open 4 days a week. Bruce, the owner is awesome.

http://seacrittersdepot.com/

I am new to the Savannah area and find very few LFS and clubs. Starting a new tank over the next couple of months and would like to learn where to get some frags

Back