weldon#4/16

dez_2121

is there any place to buy this other then online ?
want to get some to bond acrylic to my 35gal long tank to make a fuge but don't want to order it online if i can get it local. worried that i might not get enought and have to reorder
:rollface:
dez

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8102440#post8102440 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by grochmal
Farco Plastics 260-2550

thanxs I called and its 4.50 each thats a lot better then getting it online and there price for sheets isn't that bad eather 4'x8'x1/4 is only 80.00 so might get some of that or maybe go with glass in my fuge cause its mad of glass i heard that acrylic baffles and glass tanks don't hold up long any comments on that
:rollface:

dez

Yeah, their prices are good.
I've read that you can use acrylic baffles in a glass sump if you put lots of silicone on both sides of each baffle to basically wedge it in place.
I went with glass since I didn't want to risk it.

what was the thickness of the glass you used and what kind of silicone sorry for asking so many questios but im trying to get it right the first time ( wife doesn't like double spending)

I bought the glass from Home Depot or Lowes, can't remember which one or what the thickness was.
But it's pretty thin, I think maybe 1/8".
I wanted thicker but the only place I could find it was at a glass shop like Lee & Cates and they're not open Saturday so it was a pain to get it from there.
If I had to do it over again I would hold out for the thicker stuff since I'm always worried about bumping a baffle and breaking it.

As for the silicone, I used GE Silicon (I or II) 100% silicone from HD/Lowe's.
Make sure you get the Window and Door kind, not the bathroom & kitchen one.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8105017#post8105017 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bennihanna
My bad I guess I am thinking of someone else. Thought you had an bimac octopus.

Ben, I think you're thinking of Jeff Smith

Didn't someone do a "test" with weldon and a glass/acrylic bond? There was a thread somewhere here on RC, and someone bonded a piece of glass to a piece of acrylic, then stacked bricks on top until the bond broke.....it took something like 8 bricks or so, regardless it proved that the bond would hold for baffles.

Anyone got the link or remember it?? When I build my next sump, I think that's how I will go.....I'll try to find more info.

Back