Wet / Dry vs. Live rock

Thanks Jimmy, now I understand, boy do I feel dumb! Did you even read my other posts? There has to be good flow to create highly oxygenated conditions for this to occur under water, again whereas it happens much easier in a wet/DRY filter because there is way more oxygen present.

Again, your post illustrates that you don't understand this very well. Even a very low flow reef tank has plenty of O2 free in the circulating water to support nitrifying bacteria.

As I believe Vitz is saying, there are many methods that can be used on a reef tank, but they don't all work the same and it's important to understand what different methods do and do not do.

If wet dry filtration is needed to maintain a reef tank, then why do the majority of reef systems not use said method?

A wet dry is not needed to support nitirifying bacteria / create aerobic conditions. A wet dry CAN be used on a reef tank, but in most if not all cases it is totally unnecessary AND can be counter productive because of the imbalance in aerobic vs anerobic conditions that it will create.

Why are we having this debate, is it 1995 again? :)

"Even a very low flow reef tank has plenty of O2 free in the circulating water to support nitrifying bacteria"

I most definitely disagree with that statement.

Please explain your disagreement based on dissolved O2 levels required for aerobic bacteria, redoxlevels, and what flow rates provide what levels for each, as well as the O2 saturation limit as a function of temp etc etc Take your time. If you've never researched this or measured it, now would be an opportune time ;)

Food for thought-which is more important to make an effort to provide to a typical biofilter of any kind; oxygen, or food ?

Actually I'll 'settle' for your perception/definition of aerobic and anaerobic.

I truly think you do not have a correct technical grasp of their definitions as relate to aquatic systems or the micro inhabitants in them.

Nothing wrong w/that until you start making the oh so declarative disagreements you have posted above, imho.

Actually I'll 'settle' for your perception/definition of aerobic and anaerobic.

I truly think you do not have a correct technical grasp of their definitions as relate to aquatic systems or the micro inhabitants in them.

Nothing wrong w/that until you start making the oh so declarative disagreements you have posted above, imho.

The definitions are not mine, hence I don't need to define them. What else did you say? Oh yeah, HEH

You guys are confusing me actually. Lol quick question, my live rocks that would replace bio balls on that section can be DIY small rocks? Or where can you find small rocks to fit where it would replace the bio balls section.

OK so we've seen people argue other postions, and thrown the word out "FACT" by like 5 different people. Where can I find some links to these facts? I dont mean to another RC thread. Any links to some place of educational value? I'm not challenging anyone but rather want to learn since it seems we have a bit of a learning curve with so many different views on this.

You guys are confusing me actually. Lol quick question, my live rocks that would replace bio balls on that section can be DIY small rocks? Or where can you find small rocks to fit where it would replace the bio balls section.

I have read that you have to be careful with replacing the bio balls with live rock. Your live rock would have to be submereged completely in water. If you don't it would defeat the purpose of being "LIVE" rock. You wouldn't grow the beneficial bacteria

Well I didn't mean as replacing it as me having my set up currently going. I haven't put it up running still taking care of a lot of details. I was going to do bio balls but I heard of using live small rocks instead. Since I am having a Aqua C 180 skimmer and a refuge

Can't find one. Basically you have the drain line coming in the first stage hits down the sponge, below the sponge instead of having bio balls you would have small rocks or pebbles. I am not quite sure if is live rocks or pebbles but I have seen both being mentioned. After the rocks then it goes through the skimmer.

My question is are those live rocks or what type of rock are they? Can I do DIY rocks so they can be small enough to fit a bunch on that "bio ball" section?? Obviously first I would have to cure my DIY rocks before adding them to my sump.

Fish can & do suffocate in very low flow & low gas exchange conditions, are you saying they don't?

No, I'm saying that much like nitrifying bacteria, fish do survive underwater in our tanks because the conditions in circulating water (even if it's not very strong circulation) ARE aerobic.

Are you trying to say that aerobic conditions do not exist in reef systems except in wet dry filters?

To the person asking about "facts", grab even the simplest book on marine (or fresh water for that matter) aquariums, or even the dictionary. We're basically debating weather there is oxygen dissolved in the circulating water in your average fish tank. (or rather enough of it for fish and nitrifying bacteria to live). This is such basic stuff I can't believe we're even discussing it ??

Back