What all goes in a Sump?

mhhauser

So recently I have been reading up on sumps and what goes into them, and how they work.

I have got the basic Idea that they give you more water, which lowers your chances of problems some, and that they hide all your equipment.

But what i was wandering was what goes into the sump besides the skimmer, and return pump.

Lists would be helpful.
any help is welcome:spin1:

A sump can hold anything! It is basically a catch all for equipment. This is a good place for your skimmer, effluent from a Ca reactor, Phosban reactor, a place to put carbon, etc....... If the sump is large enough, you can even partition of a section to include a refugium.

That help?

A Phosban reactor (Phosban, ROWAphos , and a few others) is a material used to remove phosphate from your aquarium, and Ca reactor is a Calcium reactor, used to maintain calcium levels in a heavily dominated SPS tank.

My sump is a 55g AGA tank. It takes about 2/3 of the space under the stand of my 125g display. Here's my listof it's contents and uses:

Refugium (about 1/3 of the 55g)
LifeReef Skimmer and Magdrive 9.5 to run it
2ea heaters
Magdrive 9.5 return pump
Auto top-off float valve
Mechanical filtration (Felt & Carbon)

It provides a place to dose chemicals and top-off water so they can get diluted and mixed with tank water before entering the display.

Back