What are the advantages to have drain pipes external?

I am planning to drill my 90 gallon to set it up for a bean animal overflow, but when i google bean animal there are some that are plumbed directly into the skimmer box with a T fitting and some that are plumbed into an external overflow box,

Is there any advantages of this? seems like you would just need more bulkheads and have to make a box. Please correct me if i am wrong.

My next question is, will i have a problem using my the old aqueon weir that comes with the tank? i want to move the overflow to make it peninsula style with a bean animal overflow.

Thanks

Space inside the tank is the big advantage.. you can do a very small box inside and a bigger one on the rear of the tank.

Exactly right. If you've got enough room space, a small internal wier and an external scupper box is a much better choice, in my opinion.

The advantage of an external is both the freeing up of space in the tank and aesthetics. A small internal box looks much better IMO. Even better on a peninsula tank like mine is an end panel with a notch at the top for the weir, and an external box -- cleanest possible look. A number of people have looked at my tank and had a hard time figuring out where the water was exiting to get to the sump.

This doesn't apply to you if your tank already has holes drilled in the bottom -- but I also prefer an external box over traditional internal overflow for peace of mind: With a hole in the bottom some part of me is always afraid that all of the water in my tank is going to drain out somehow through that hole -- no matter how unlikely. If there are no holes drilled low in the tank, then the only way for all the water to empty is a tank failure of some sort. (assuming there isn't a return low in the tank which can back-siphon most of the water out)

The advantage of an external is both the freeing up of space in the tank and aesthetics. A small internal box looks much better IMO.

I've got corner overflows and think it actually looks better than a short internal box. It takes up a little more room, but it blends into the tank better.

Back